Just got implant surgery! Discoloured temp tooth?

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ann0rz

Just got implant surgery! Discoloured temp tooth?

#1 Post by ann0rz »

Finally got my braces off today and an implant/temporary tooth in! Also, a bone graft. So far it doesn't really hurt, although it's pretty massively bruised and bloody up in the gum area, but it definitely looks a lot worse than it feels. :mrgreen:

I am a bit concerned about the temporary tooth, as it appears the interior is stained with an unbecoming purple-blue colour (from all the blood). Can anybody tell me whether that'll go away in time, or will I have to put up with a bluish tooth until I can get a permanent crown in?

Thanks!

Sayrah

Re: Just got implant surgery! Discoloured temp tooth?

#2 Post by Sayrah »

I imagine that the temp tooth will unfortunately stay that way until you get the permanent crown in, but if you're unhappy, you may be able to call your dentist to get a new one made. I say that because my dentist will make as many temporary crowns between having the temp and the permanent put on. I had a temp on my peg lateral, but I had crown lengthening down on Wednesday and my dentist does not want to put one on until after the stitches come out and it has a couple more days to heal. But after that, I have to have my temp crown on for between 10-12 weeks before I can get the permanent one put it. The temp the periodontist took off though is now stained with blood too though that I couldn't get off (because I couldn't stand looking at the temp crown in the bag covered in blood, so I washed it off, lol), so I don't imagine that the blood will come off your temp crown either, it seemed to get stuck way down in there.

I also had a bone graft for my other missing lateral, and I do agree, it looks much worse than it feels, but I can definitely feel the bruising now. But I can't wait til all the stitches are out to see the final product.

Good luck to you with this whole process!

Peg tooth (upper lateral incisor #10) & missing tooth (upper lateral incisor #7)
July 13, 2011 - Crown lengthening for peg tooth & bone graft for implant
March 2012 - Crown fit on peg tooth
June 2012 - Screw placed in jaw for implant
October 2012 - Implant set

ann0rz

Re: Just got implant surgery! Discoloured temp tooth?

#3 Post by ann0rz »

Thanks for sharing Sayrah!

Yeah, you're right, I don't think the blood is gonna come off. :( That's good you got several temps, though! Did your doc charge you extra for each temp? Mine costs $450 so if it costs the same for another temp I suppose I'll just grin and bear it until my permanent, haha.

I was also wondering if there was perhaps some way to get it coloured in, like with bonding material or something? Hrm. Something to ask my dentist when I see him next Wednesday, hah!