Hello!

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MunchkinLand

Hello!

#1 Post by MunchkinLand »

Newbie here, just want to introduce myself. My name is Cyn. I'm 25 and just officially starting my ortho journey. I was supposed to get braces as a teen, even had a consult but for whatever reason, it just didn't happen. Now as an adult, its become a self conscious issue. Something I have wanted to fix for a while but with 3 kiddos, never had the money till now.

Last month I got all my dental work done (fillings and a cleaning) then had a consult with the ortho at that practice. Got all set for braces and when I went in to get them, the Ortho took a look at my Xrays, did a visual exam and took an additional xray and told me he does not have the tools he needs for the reccomended treatment.

I was diagnosed with an open bite, ectopic canines with crowding due to wisdom teeth and a rotated upper jaw. He reccomended surgery. Which I could not afford. Then he said another option would be a TAD but thats what he could not do. He reccomended I consult with a strictly orthodontal office, so I dod and I am SO glad I chose a great one!

I went in on Monday for my new consult/2nd opinion and the guy said I can basically toss the other guys treatment reccomendations in the trash.

I told him if there is anyway to avoid it, I dont want to extract any teeth (besides my wisdom teeth) and he said its a hard fix but not impossible. He reccomends a palate expander, he said he will know within 2 weeks if it is going to work, if so then most likely no extractions will be necessary AND I will be a candidate for invisalign! I got my spacers in that day (these things suck!!) And return next week for metal bands for the expander. Assuming it works I can resume with my alligners once the expander comes off, if for whatever reason it doesnt work, then plan b is to accept the extractions and go for ceramic braces. Hoping that won't be necessary! Treatment estimate is less than 2 years from the start of braces/aligners but I am considering OrthoPulse (similar to Acceledent) to speed things up!

So thats where I am!

MunchkinLand

Re: Hello!

#2 Post by MunchkinLand »

Oh and a bite block for the open bite rather than a TAD