bite question

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sagethyme

bite question

#1 Post by sagethyme »

I have been in invisalign for 2 years and 5 months. I am on my 3rd set and supposedly my last. I had 2 molars removed as the ortho told me it was the only way to do it at my age (over 50) unless I wanted to be in braces for 3 years. Well at this point I am approaching that timeframe. I have to wear elastics with the invisilign which basically means that EVERYONE knows I wear braces and defeats the purpose of using invisalign. The elastics are hard to get on and make me lisp and pop as well. I have small pointed attachments as well which hurt my mouth when the liners are off my teeth.The over all experience is not one I would ever recommend to anyone.

My biggest issue is that my back teeth DO NOT TOUCH at all. I've complained as this process gone on and at times a couple may touch but honestly none do and I am 2.5 months aay from being completed. I can't chew food well and it is uncomfortable as well. The only time my bite feels comforatable is when I am wearing the invisalign. My family think I look strange when I chew and I do as I am basically chewing in the front of my mouth. Often times I wear just hte bottom one when I eat so the attachments do not cut my inside mouth and it gives me a better bite. I am so upset I don't know what to do.

Any advice.

BellaBraces

Re: bite question

#2 Post by BellaBraces »

I take it you have mentioned the bite issue to the ortho? What did s/he say?

Robin8

Re: bite question

#3 Post by Robin8 »

Sorry about your troubles. If your teeth require the extra force from elastics to move into their desired positions, you’d need elastics regardless of whether you have braces or Invisalign. I wore elastics for over a year and they never popped. You should ask your doctor to investigate… it could be the notch on the aligners, the button, the thickness of the elastics or how you place them.

Your attachments hurt your mouth because they were not polished well after the doctor/hygienist put them on. Just ask them to polish them better; it’d take only a few minutes.

It does happen sometimes that back teeth don’t touch after wearing aligners for a long period. It’s because your constant biting causes them to intrude slightly. It usually resolves itself after patients stop wearing the aligners for a few months. An experienced doctor has several ways to correct this in a short time. One easy “fix” is to cut off the back of aligners to allow the back teeth to “bounce” back. Here’s a recent case with this issue … http://www.bracesreview.com/forums/invi ... -done.html

Please keep in mind that Invisalign, like braces, is just an orthodontic appliance used to move teeth. It’s your doctor who provides you with the orthodontic treatment (i.e. planning, monitoring and fixing any problems that come up during treatment). Most of what you paid is for your doctor’s service. So make sure he resolves any issues you have and if he doesn’t know what to do, tell him to consult with someone who does.