Invisalign causing irritation

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KLJM

Invisalign causing irritation

#1 Post by KLJM »

I started Invisalign 2 weeks ago and I am on my first tray until Tuesday when I return to the dentist.

On one side, the tray is rubbing against and irritating the inside of my mouth when I speak. Yesterday was particularly bad and the tray caused my mouth to bleed. I tried smoothing it out with a nail file, but it did not work.

Any suggestions for what I can put on the irritation or what I can do?

SimoSorriso

Re: Invisalign causing irritation

#2 Post by SimoSorriso »

It happens to me very often. Probably I can say every 2 trays :(
Once my dentist cut the border of my bottom tray was unnecessary too long and it was cutting my gum so badly!
I believe is something that you have to use to, with the days will improve ;)

kcj

#3 Post by kcj »

I consistently and without issue have taken an emery board to my trays. I put them in, feel around where they are irritating me, take them out and file. Repeat until the tray is comfortable, then probably repeat again a few days into each tray after it has had a chance to settle.

KUMonkeyMomma

#4 Post by KUMonkeyMomma »

I'm the same as the last poster - I file every tray because there is always at least one spot that feels a bit sharp or rubs in just the wrong spot/way.
Donna
Started treatment 9/2/09
Treatment finished 4/27/11

KLJM

#5 Post by KLJM »

Thank you all so much for your replies.

I got my second tray today (with attachments) and while the tray is MUCH more comfortable, the pressure from the attachments is killer! Yowza!

sammywantstraightteeth

#6 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

I got that on some early aligners, and I tried to put up with the discomfort because I knew the tissue would heal stronger and be more resilient. On occasion the pain was too much and I used Bonjella to ease it while it healed.

With this approach I haven't had to file any trays, and I've only had sores in 1 tray out of the last 10 or so.

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24