Anyone used Acceledent? Also how to keep aligners clear

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AmyJJ

Anyone used Acceledent? Also how to keep aligners clear

#1 Post by AmyJJ »

Hello, I am 4 weeks in Invisalign. I am tempted to try Acceledent because it seems no matter what I try the aligners start to discolor about day 8 and get worse each day. If I could move to the next ones sooner they would look clear all the time instead of that last week when they seem darker and cloudy. Wondering if anyone has tried it and if you really can move along faster. Also any cleaning tips so they don't discolor. I am trying all kinds of things for cleaning and trying to figure out how to keep them looking clear. I was told by my Orthodontist to only use gel toothpaste. I was brushing the actual aligners both the outside and inside, not drinking anything but water, brushing and flossing each time before putting them back in. The first set became so dark and had an odor even though I felt like I was constantly cleaning them. I went back in and the dental assistant told me not to use a toothbrush on them as it etches little scratches that collect debris and cause clouding. I ordered the actual Invisalign cleaner which works great as far as keeping them smelling nice but they are still getting darker starting about 8 days in. I read to never let them dry out when they are out of your mouth or will cause plaque and odor. At home I can put them in water in a bowl while eating or the Invisalign crystals (I tried a bit of baking soda in water before the Invisalign cleaner arrived and that seemed to work to keep odor away) but at work I don't have a place to keep them wet. I did try Eversmile cleaner and that helped with cleaning on the go and keeping them smelling minty fresh so glad to find out about that, yet still getting dis colored. Any advice on Acceledent and on keeping aligners from changing color is appreciated. Thank you.

Cgibbo05

Re: Anyone used Acceledent? Also how to keep aligners clear

#2 Post by Cgibbo05 »

I have used acceledent and it was a huge improvement. I was quoted a two year treatment and ended up getting my braces off in just under a year. I actually only used the device for about 4 months as well, had I used it every day as directed I'm sure they would have came off sooner! It is well worth the money!

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

The problem is that you are brushing your aligners. You shouldn't brush them! It puts tiny scratches in the aligner surface and that is where the plaque and bacteria collect. Use Retainer Brite on your next set (use it every day) and your retainers will not get cloudy or discolored. http://www.dentakit.com/retainerbrite.html

You can save 10% with coupon code BRACES. Or, take advantage of the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale that is on now -- save 15% on a purchase of $35 or more with coupon code: BKFY15 (through Dec. 1st).
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

AmyJJ

#4 Post by AmyJJ »

Thanks for the tip, I have now been using retainer bright each time I eat and in the morning with a plug in ultrasonic cleaner that was only $30. I let it soak in the retainer bright and then put it all in the ultrasonic machine the last 5 minutes while brushing and flossing before putting them back in. So far this set of trays still look clear and I am on day 10 of them. I'm probably overusing the retainer brite but it seems to be working and I have hated the yellowing that has happened around day 7 or 8 in the past.

I asked my Ortho office about Acceledent and they said they thought you get the same results by once a day with trays out chewing orbit gum for 10 minutes. Anyone else heard of that? I would still like to try Acceledent but not sure how to purchase since they don't recommend it. Also people have stated paying anywhere from $400-$1,500 for it so it seems like a very big price difference depending on where you get it. Would be nice and less expensive it Orbit gum chewing for 10 minutes a day really did do the same thing. Would love to hear if anyone has tried that and any experience with Acceledent. Cgibbo05 can you share how much you paid and did you get it from your dentist/ortho or elsewhere. Thank you.