Brushing teeth too often?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nycgrrl

Brushing teeth too often?

#1 Post by nycgrrl »

So I brush my teeth everytime I eat some -- and I'm a graze eater so I probably eat 5 meals a day -- I was looking online and it said that brushing your teeth too often can wear down tooth enamel, so now i'm a little worried. :( What do you guys do? I use an extra-soft toothbrush but is there a special toothpaste I should be using? Thoughts?
Female 28yrs old
Started Nov. 2009
U - 8/36
L - 8/23
8 attachments

myhollywoodsmile

#2 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

I wondered about this too as I think I eat at least 8 times a day! I'm not sure as to the answer unfortunately. I simply brush, although I try not to brush for half an hour after diet coke as that apparently is the worst.

nycgrrl

#3 Post by nycgrrl »

so i've been doing some research and using an enamel sensitive toothpaste might be the way to go! by the way, i really enjoy your blog :)
Female 28yrs old
Started Nov. 2009
U - 8/36
L - 8/23
8 attachments

TinySmiley

#4 Post by TinySmiley »

I'm concerned about receeding gums. I already have a problem with it and now brushing so frequently I'm afraid I'll make them worse. I guess all I can do is be gentle as I can when I brush. :wink:

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

You can brush frequently....just brush for a bit less time and be careful around the gums. Of course, floss once per day!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Wireless

#6 Post by Wireless »

If you're concerned about the effect of more brushing on receeding gums, discuss with your ortho or dentist to see if there are problems and how to best take care.

In my case, I have receeding gums around a couple of molars, and also had problems behind my front uppers where my gums receeded enough to expose a tooth root due to my deep bite. I've been in treatment with Invisalign over a year and have had no problems. In the case of the gums behind my uppers, they actually healed without the need for surgery after I started treatment - a big relief!!

Also, my last dental checkup was probably the best ever. I had very little bleeding from the cleaning and my oral health has really improved. My regular dentist was very impressed. I believe this improvement is due to the extra hygiene required with Invisalign. You may find your extra brushing and cleaning may improve your gums rather than damage them!!

Cheeeese

#7 Post by Cheeeese »

Floss once per day???? I thought you were suppose to floss after every meal before brushing.

KUMonkeyMomma

#8 Post by KUMonkeyMomma »

I believe you are told to floss after every meal - but I'm not sure everyone does it. I typically don't.

I eat breakfast and sometimes lunch at work and it's hard enough to brush there, let alone floss. If I eat lunch at home I'll floss most of the time, especially if I have anything that tends to stick between teeth more than other things, but not always. I always floss after dinner when I'm done eating for the day though - so some days that is all I floss if I eat bfast and lunch at work.
Donna
Started treatment 9/2/09
Treatment finished 4/27/11

TXMommy

#9 Post by TXMommy »

Wireless wrote:Also, my last dental checkup was probably the best ever. I had very little bleeding from the cleaning and my oral health has really improved. My regular dentist was very impressed. I believe this improvement is due to the extra hygiene required with Invisalign. You may find your extra brushing and cleaning may improve your gums rather than damage them!!
Agreed!
Braced Jan. 31, 2008
Sentenced to 24 months
Debraced Jan. 14, 2010!
Now wearing Essix retainer on top 24/7 with bonded lower

TXMommy

#10 Post by TXMommy »

TXMommy wrote:
Wireless wrote:Also, my last dental checkup was probably the best ever. I had very little bleeding from the cleaning and my oral health has really improved. My regular dentist was very impressed. I believe this improvement is due to the extra hygiene required with Invisalign. You may find your extra brushing and cleaning may improve your gums rather than damage them!!
Agreed!
That goes for those who wear Essix retainers as well. I'm only a week in, but I've noticed a big improvement in my gums.
Braced Jan. 31, 2008
Sentenced to 24 months
Debraced Jan. 14, 2010!
Now wearing Essix retainer on top 24/7 with bonded lower