Has anyone been nauseous with Invisalign?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

africanviolet

Has anyone been nauseous with Invisalign?

#1 Post by africanviolet »

I just started with Invisalign yesterday. I am experiencing some nausea. Has anyone else had this side effect? My ortho's office say they've never heard of it before.

jeni

#2 Post by jeni »

Yeah, but it was not from the aligners. I was nauseous and had a gagging sensation when I switched aligners while I had the stomach flu. I think that was brought on by my being so dehydrated at the time due to all of the vomitting. I was convinced that I was going to bite my tongue because it was so enlarged from dehydration!

Lilypad

#3 Post by Lilypad »

I would highly suggest brushing and rinsing the aligners especially before inserting a new one. Who knows what they put on them before we get them! The new ones seem to have an odd taste to them. Also, it took me a couple of days just to get used to having something in my mouth all the time. I was kinda gaggy for while. It passed and now sometimes i forget i even have them, almost drank a soda today with them in. :D

hbaker

Re: Has anyone been nauseous with Invisalign?

#4 Post by hbaker »

I have the same response.
If it is not an infection, and not a toxic reaction, it is most likely that the vagus nerve is somehow (indirectly) being energized by the pressure the invisalign are putting on your teeth, jaw and gums. The vagus nerve has many connections in the stomach and other organs, and is often or always involved in nausea. It is like the invisalign is pressing on something akin to your funny bone, but in your mouth instead of in your elbow.