fixing jaw without orthognathic surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

galileo_figaro

fixing jaw without orthognathic surgery

#1 Post by galileo_figaro »

as you may see, my lower is back in comparison with my upper jaw.

now, i know this is not thaaat bad, but it sure does look ugly in profile. i am wondering if there's a way to fix it without orthognatic surgery?

I actually have braces now to corect crooked/crowded teeth..

Indalee

#2 Post by Indalee »

:-1 Hi galileo_figaro! I had an over bite and my ortho fixed it with a MARA. It's an appliance that's fixed to your molars top and bottom and forces you lower jaw to line up correctly with your top.
You read about it here:

viewtopic.php?t=10162&highlight=

tofino

Maybe look into this...

#3 Post by tofino »

Hi.

Take a look at this:

http://www.truaxcorrectors.com/

I conducted a conference call with both orthodontists from this clinic during summer 2005, and I subsequently spent dozens of hours researching the remarkable claims they are making. Try doing a web search for this technique, however, and you rapidly are led to sites that take you into the murky world of vaccine protest and oregano oil.

But hold on, because Dr. Truax has some impressive credentials. As an example, he founded the orthodontic center at the Mayo Clinic. It gets better, but maybe take a look at it for yourself. The orthos on this site (Archwired.com) dismissed the claims, and I ran out of time and patience and so I went under the knife (a few weeks ago) and it turned out just fine.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers

Glen

Brandyleigh35

Herbst

#4 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Depending on how old you are the Herbst is also an option. It forces new bone growth and has been very successful with correcting class II's in younger folks. It can be used on kids up to about 18, but after that is considered (according to my ortho) as not very effective. Here is a link http://library.thinkquest.org/5029/herbst.htm

You mentioned you are in full braces....did your ortho recommend lower jaw surgery? I mean if he has not, then he must think he is going to be able to accurately align your teeth without it. For those like myself the overbite is sometimes too great to be able to correct with just orthodontics i.e the occulsion would not be lined up properly without it.

Brandy