after maxillo surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Scott19

after maxillo surgery?

#1 Post by Scott19 »

When the surgery is finished..do you feel like the teeth are finally in perfect position? or does that take a few more months? im kind of hoping i can get an answer from a person who has already had this operation..thanks :o

tweedlydee

#2 Post by tweedlydee »

I am post-op and my surgeon purposely leaves a gap in the back teeth (like a reverse open bite) - so the back molars are not touching. I believe this is done to allow for any relapse to the open bite part of the surgery. Then, the orthodontist does his work to get the molars to touch again.

So, if your process is the same, which, I'm not sure if all surgeons and orthodontists do the same process, then your bite will not be perfect right after the surgery - it will require 6-8 months of post-op orthodontic treatment.

Scott19

#3 Post by Scott19 »

Thanks for the replies, I will be having upper jaw surgery to move the top jaw forward. right now(4 months into braces) my top teeth are about 2-3 mm behind the bottom. So after the surgery i will probably expect the top teeth to what will seem like an overbite at first?

tweedlydee

#4 Post by tweedlydee »

Hi, yes, my surgery was for an open bite, an over bite and cross-bite. It is best just to ask your surgeon....if your surgeon is anything like mine, he doesn't give up alot of information unless prompted.

What I was trying to describe to you (what I had) was not like having an over-bite after surgery, but where the bite looked good, it's just that the back molars were not touching when I would put my teeth together.

Anyway....ask your surgeon and orthodontist, they will be best to let you know what your post-op teeth should be like.