multiple extractions.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ebjones1

multiple extractions.

#1 Post by ebjones1 »

I posted something similar to this in the "Ask the Doc" board, but I thought I'd ask you guys too incase anyone had similar experiences..

First of all, I went in to get a regular check up and cleaning from my dentist. I've had no pain or aggrevation of any of my wisdom teeth (they are still fully impacted and were only irritated when I got numbing shots for two cavities), but he told me I needed to have them extracted because I actually have a cyst growing around one of them. Have any of you ever had this? I'm a little apprehensive because I don't know how serious it is and how quickly I need to get them out. I'm trying to wait until my ortho gives me the go-ahead for the extractions he wants out, which will probably be in December, granted I can get into the oral surgeon by then. I can't seem to get any REAL info on cysts.. and I know their kind of uncommon. Anybody experience this?
From what my ortho told me in the initial consultation, he thinks I'll also need four premolars removed in addition to a baby tooth I still have. So altogether, it will be nine extractions. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous.. and wondering if I'll look like some kind of toothless redneck when I walk out of the surgery, hehe! Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you had that many extractions at once, or if they split them up into different times. My goal is to get them out before the holidays, so I can hopefully get my braces put on sometime in December (YAY).

Sorry for being long-winded.. I never thought my teeth would be so freakin' complicated! :shock:

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

Wow that's a lot of teeth to take out! But I guess when I think about it, if I get my wisdom teeth pulled I'll be up to 8, so I'm thinking it's quite normal. If you need the room, you need the room. Or if the teeth are screwy, then I guess it's in your best interest or the dentist wouldn't mention it at all.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

hannah164

#3 Post by hannah164 »

Wow! That is a ton of extractions! I had 6 including an exposure of two impacted cuspids all at once. My oral surgeon and ortho decided it would be best to have them all removed at once. It wasn't too bad just hard to eat for a while because you have no teeth to chew wiht. :? That's not even including wisdom teeth. All together by the end of this I'll have had 14 teeth pulled! :shock:
Good luck and hope all goes well!

-Hannah

ebjones1

#4 Post by ebjones1 »

Thanks for the replies - It makes me feel like I'm not alone, hehe :wink:

Well, I went today for my records appointment with the ortho, and all went well.. He assured me again that it would be in my best interest to get all of them done at once so I wouldn't have to go through the anesthetic (sp?), pain, meds, etc. more than once. I have my oral surgeon consultation on Monday, so I'm going to talk to him and see if he thinks the same thing. My ortho also said that cysts aren't actually that uncommon, and that pockets tend to form around the wisdom teeth and sometimes fill with fluid, so it's really not a huge ordeal.
I have my followup appointment in two weeks to discuss my treatment plan, and I'm kinda nervous and excited all at once! Hopefully it will go how I want. I have a pretty severe overbite and my lower jaw is somewhat recessed (not much though), but I'm really not wanting to get surgery. He hasn't mentioned it yet.. so I'm hoping he won't. Even if my bite isn't perfect, my teeth will be a whole heck of a lot better than they are now - and thats PERFECTLY fine with me! :D