Dry Socket Question

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tasha0313

Dry Socket Question

#1 Post by Tasha0313 »

Alright I just finished brushing and rinsing with warm salt and water. I looked in the back of my mouth on the left hand side. It looks like my stitches are starting to disolve on that side, but I have a small hole back there. It doesn't hurt right now, but I'm afraid that it may form a dry socket, should I be alarmed?

ricardo2

#2 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi again Tasha0313,

I just replied to your other wisdom post... but I found that after my wisdom tooth removal, the hole stayed around for a few months afterwards.....it was tender to start with, but it took a while before it completely went.

If you've had it done very recently, be careful not to dislodge the clot.... I found that it dangled down for a few days :shock: , so just be extra vigilant!!

If it has already started to heal, then I think that the chances of developing dry socket or an infection subside. If it starts to hurt, smell or feel generally unpleasant then make sure you go back and get it checked out.

Good luck!

LUCY xxx

Tasha0313

#3 Post by Tasha0313 »

I think the blood clot is actually gone on my bottom left side. My gums stopped bleeding the first day. I had my surgery at 9:30AM, by 9:30PM I didn't need the gauze anymore. I'm not able to see the area where they removed the wisdom teeth on top, but I can feel the stitches. It feels like the stitches on the bottom right side are coming out because the area around my gums don't feel as tight back there, but I think the stitches are in tact every where else. I guess I'm just worried that I'm doing something wrong or that I'm not doing enough. I don't have a f/u with my oral surgeon until the 21st of September, does that seem like a long time to f/u? I figured he'd want to see me in a couple of days just to make sure that everything was healing the way it should.

ricardo2

#4 Post by ricardo2 »

.....If you're worried, then give them a call....

I didn't see the surgeon ever again after he took my wisdom tooth out nor did I have any follow-up, but it was only for the one tooth plus it was done under local, so it probably wasn't needed.

If you're concerned, then I would double-check with them.

Good luck!

LUCY xxx

**shinyhappybraceface**

#5 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

Tasha0313 wrote:I think the blood clot is actually gone on my bottom left side. My gums stopped bleeding the first day. I had my surgery at 9:30AM, by 9:30PM I didn't need the gauze anymore.
I had surgery this morning to remove four impacted wisdom teeth this morning. The surgery started a bit after 10:00 a.m. and ended around 11:15 a.m. By noon, I had that stupid gauze out of my mouth because it was causing me to gag. (Actually, I was vomiting because it was so annoying. :cry: )

Anyhow, I called the office around 4:00 p.m. because I had questions about meds and mentioned that I was guaze free for the past four hours. Dr. said no problem - that it only had to be there until the bleeding stopped, which by then, it already had. So I don't think the early removal of gauze is a contributing factor (yeah - I suppose that was the short answer)...

Anyhow - I just realized how long it had been since your post and now I'm wondering, how did it turn out? Did you end up with a dry socket?
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB

Tasha0313

#6 Post by Tasha0313 »

I did not end up with a dry socket thank goodness!! It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Three days post surgery I was eating fish and other soft solids. I still have the holes on top where my wisdom teeth used to be, but the bottom whole are pretty much gone. I do have to use a syringe every now and then to get the food out, but otherwise my surgery went as well as to be expected.