Thoughts on my profile?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

heyvin

Thoughts on my profile?

#1 Post by heyvin »

I had braces when I was 21 and was diagnosed with a slight class II. No crossbite, normal overbite/overjet (3mm each). I had some crowding in my mandible. I had the option of removing two lower teeth and eventually undergoing jaw surgery to advance my mandible by a few millimeters, or I could get braces, and seek out chin augmentation procedures in the future, as my bite wasn't bad pre braces according to the doctors, and having jaw surgery would largely have been to improve my side profile. I went with the latter and haven't had any issues, with the exception of my wisdom teeth, that I've been lagging to have extracted.

I'm 27 and my profile has only bothered me a handful of times in the last 6 years, which is why I think it's in my head. Everyone else I've asked in person say I look fine and I feel comfortable from my from view and love my smile. And the people I see with my profile and look normal to me. I've been looking into maybe getting some sort of genioplasty to add a bit more millimeters in height to my chin to help with the fold. I have a few maxillofacial surgeons I'm going to see.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Am I being too hard on myself? I found a photo with someone who has a similar profile as me and the only real noticeable difference is he has a bit more height to his chin. Everything else looks the same to me. Please let me know if this is the incorrect forum to post in, so that I can move it elsewhere :D

[img]https://imgur.com/ZhNuO2W[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/YzGOGKv.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/EX6OwWZ.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/bBjqrHO.jpg[/img]

assertives

Re: Thoughts on my profile?

#2 Post by assertives »

Your profile looks normal to me and you also have good symmetry.

If your profile has only bothered you a handful of times in the past 6 years and you are generally happy and comfortable with your face and smile, then the stakes sound very high if you do go ahead and get surgery. Advancing your chin or whole jaw could bring about other outcomes/issues that you didn't have before nor want.

If it was only for mild aesthetics, I don't think it's worth the all the work, money, and risks involved. But if you have functional problems and pain, then that's another story.

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

I see the overjet and lack of projection in your chin, but they appear to be within the norms of the regular population. What I’m saying is that they’re not ideal, but you still look like a completely normal guy. If it bothers you that much, you could consider doing a chin augmentation or implant and I think you’d have nice results. I wouldn’t do anything more than that. You still wouldn’t look like Brad Pitt (none of us do and it’s an unrealistic expectation) so perhaps the more useful thing to focus on is the mental aspect of becoming ok with what you look like. Easier said than done, I know :lol:
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

heyvin

#4 Post by heyvin »

[quote="assertives"]Your profile looks normal to me and you also have good symmetry.

If your profile has only bothered you a handful of times in the past 6 years and you are generally happy and comfortable with your face and smile, then the stakes sound very high if you do go ahead and get surgery. Advancing your chin or whole jaw could bring about other outcomes/issues that you didn't have before nor want.

If it was only for mild aesthetics, I don't think it's worth the all the work, money, and risks involved. But if you have functional problems and pain, then that's another story.[/quote]

Everyone I've asked in person has said the same thing to me -- I look normal. And I agree. I wouldn't do jaw surgery. I never had functional problems, and felt the process and risks outweighed the minor improvement I would have seen. Which according to them, I could do something like genioplasty or implant and get similar results. But it's a hard pass on an implant. I don't like the idea of having a foreign object in my body. I'm really only looking into it because I'd like to see if a slight shift could open up the angle on my mentolabial fold. I gained like 20 pounds the last few months from eating out too much and it slightly shows on my face and neck, which is why I feel it started bothering me. It's as you say, I'm only looking for a mild improvement. I'm not aiming for the sky. I don't want a bulgy chin, haha.

heyvin

#5 Post by heyvin »

[quote="snapdresser"]I see the overjet and lack of projection in your chin, but they appear to be within the norms of the regular population. What I’m saying is that they’re not ideal, but you still look like a completely normal guy. If it bothers you that much, you could consider doing a chin augmentation or implant and I think you’d have nice results. I wouldn’t do anything more than that. You still wouldn’t look like Brad Pitt (none of us do and it’s an unrealistic expectation) so perhaps the more useful thing to focus on is the mental aspect of becoming ok with what you look like. Easier said than done, I know :lol:[/quote]

I'm not trying to aim to look like Brad Pitt, lol. I've been looking for maxillofacial surgeons in the Bay Area, to ask them if they think a minor shift would help open up my labial fold. I'm avoiding implants. The angle is the only thing I'm trying to improve. Outside of that I feel and look normal tbh.

heyvin

#6 Post by heyvin »

[quote="snapdresser"]I see the overjet and lack of projection in your chin, but they appear to be within the norms of the regular population. What I’m saying is that they’re not ideal, but you still look like a completely normal guy. If it bothers you that much, you could consider doing a chin augmentation or implant and I think you’d have nice results. I wouldn’t do anything more than that. You still wouldn’t look like Brad Pitt (none of us do and it’s an unrealistic expectation) so perhaps the more useful thing to focus on is the mental aspect of becoming ok with what you look like. Easier said than done, I know :lol:[/quote]

I'm guessing you had a genioplasty based on your banner. How much did they advance your chin?

snapdresser

#7 Post by snapdresser »

I think you’d be looking at a fairly sharp mentolabial angle following a chin augmentation or implant. Of course, you could get fillers to help with that if you wanted. Or you could just leave everything the same :)

I gained a total 10mm additional chin projection from my surgery. About half of that was from the sliding genioplasty.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018