overjet/gummy smile + bimax protrusion

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Overjetzzz

overjet/gummy smile + bimax protrusion

#1 Post by Overjetzzz »

Hello :o

I am new in the forum, and I am sorry about my English as it is not my mother tongue. Also, if this is not the topic to talk about my situation please let me know.

So, I have started a treatment in my home country and was supposed to do braces + TADS + crown lenghtening for a really gummy, with a big overbite, smile. I had just gotten space to put my lower braces when I moved abroad. Now, all dentists here say I should do extractions as I have bimaxillary protrusion/overjet. My previous dentist never said I was a case of surgery (I asked many times before), but to transfer my case he wrote that I CHOSE do an alternative path to orthognatic, which is completely untrue.

One of the dentists I consulted said that my issue would only be 100% perfect with orthognatic, but that he can improve my case by 70% with just extractions. Each dentist has its own opinion: some say I am a class I, my previous one says class II and I really don't know who to trust. I have a really thin face, so this fact further my worries about taking out four molars (and I have spaces in my maxilla, the problem apparently is my mandible).

Who should I trust in this case? I was really confident about the TADS but now the idea of having a not-so-perfect outcome worries me a lot. Did someone here had a similar situation?

Thank you in advance!

Overjetzzz

Re: overjet/gummy smile + bimax protrusion

#2 Post by Overjetzzz »

Ah, I forgot to post my x-ray pic...

https://imgur.com/pddShGd

(I took out the third molars before starting the treatment)

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

Overjetzzz wrote:My previous dentist never said I was a case of surgery (I asked many times before), but to transfer my case he wrote that I CHOSE do an alternative path to orthognatic, which is completely untrue.
Well, you have your answer. Your previous dentist did indeed think that surgery can be indicated for your case.

I also have a bimax protrusion as well and I had 8 teeth extracted (4 wisdoms and 4 premolars). I haven't noticed any changes to my face but I did start off with a very protrusive profile and my teeth look like they were flying out of my mouth in my xrays.

If you feel like you can't trust any of the orthos you have consulted, perhaps seek a couple more consultations before committing to a treatment plan?

Overjetzzz

#4 Post by Overjetzzz »

[quote="assertives"][quote="Overjetzzz"]My previous dentist never said I was a case of surgery (I asked many times before), but to transfer my case he wrote that I CHOSE do an alternative path to orthognatic, which is completely untrue.[/quote]

Well, you have your answer. Your previous dentist did indeed think that surgery can be indicated for your case.

I also have a bimax protrusion as well and I had 8 teeth extracted (4 wisdoms and 4 premolars). I haven't noticed any changes to my face but I did start off with a very protrusive profile and my teeth look like they were flying out of my mouth in my xrays.

If you feel like you can't trust any of the orthos you have consulted, perhaps seek a couple more consultations before committing to a treatment plan?[/quote]

Thank you for your reply.
Can I ask if you know exactly how many mm your dentist managed to intrude? I have read a few stories of people that regret it a lot and knowing that someone had a really good outcome is reassuring :HugeGrin:

I just fear that, at the end, I am going to feel that in my case my result might've been better with surgery with this written (never said) confirmation from the first dentist and the "maybe 70% corrected" from the new one. I am not so sure now whether I should follow his extraction plan, the non-extraction I was doing before or really go with orthognatic, even though I am accordingly to most dentists not such a severe case. :? I have seen over five now and they all have different opinions about my class (one said I am class I in one side and class II in the other?!?!) and what I should do: TADS, just regular implants + lip repositioning, botox, extractions, shaving, crown lenghtening... The more professionals I consult, more questions are raised.

:Questions: :Questions: :Questions:

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

My ortho has only just started with the retraction. He has just finished unravelling the crowding and rounding the arch which "ate up" into some of the space created from the extractions and there is still flaring at this stage. My overbite was about 8mm.

I have certainly noticed improvements just by the top teeth's imprints on my lower lip. They used to sit quite far out almost out of my lip, but now they are behind the pout? :lol:

There isn't such a thing as a perfect treatment plan. There are risks with every medical procedure. Perhaps making the decision on which route to take would depend on what kind of compromise are you willing to accept and the benefits you forsee outweighing the risks associated with each route.

But pick an ortho and treatment plan that you feel comfortable. I would say, take one step at a time and tackle each hurdle when you get to it.

Are you seeing a dentist or an ortho by the way?