Infected Hardware / Hardware Removal?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drgnfly

Infected Hardware / Hardware Removal?

#1 Post by drgnfly »

Hi there - I'm five weeks out from double jaw surgery. I've had what seems to be a very average experience. I'm writing today, because at my appointment ten days ago, I had some unilateral swelling on my lower jaw over the hardware. When the surgical assistant looked at the area in my mouth, she said that it looked pretty deep and might go all the way to the hardware. That could necessitate removal of the hardware.

I've been on antibiotics for nine days (I see my surgeon tomorrow), and while the swelling is down and I can't access the pocket anymore, the space over my hardware is still a little tender. I'm just writing today to see if anyone out there has had a similar experience. I'd be curious to hear from people who have had hardware removed, especially as to their experience with recovery and return to work.

Thanks very much!

Nozzelnut

Re: Infected Hardware / Hardware Removal?

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

In Europe it's common that folks have their hardware removed. Here in the states it's uncommon or rare that it is. From what I've read it's not that big of a surgery; nothing like the first that put it in. There is some chance of numbness; but that usually outweighs the reason it's being removed; chronic infection, rejection, broken plate...

I had 3 screws removed because one started to "tent" after the swelling went down. Getting a wisdom tooth removed surgically would have been more complicated. Only took about 10 minutes in the office under local anesthetic. I wouldn't recommend that unless you're ok with people around your face tugging and pulling. Didn't hurt at all but it was weird.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

drgnfly

#3 Post by drgnfly »

Thanks so much for the quick reply. That's great news! I was thinking that it would be a general anesthesia OR case. I'm sure that I'll have no problem with some local in office.

xjoe28

#4 Post by xjoe28 »

Me being 4+ weeks out from double jaw surgery, this is my biggest worry right now. Infection and/or loose screws.
How did you know you had an infection? Were you washing your hands/mouth a lot? Also wondering how the procedure is removing the hardware just incase. What if you do not get it removed? I have heard multiple different things about hardware removal operation. Im posting here to remind myself to check to see if anyone here has had hardware removal, I would like to know about the procedure and how it ranks to double jaw surgery and how the recovery is.
I wish you the best and I hope you have your infection cleared up for good.

drgnfly

#5 Post by drgnfly »

Hey there - I had some unilateral swelling, and the medical assistant said she could see pus. They pushed and drained the infection, then sent me home on antibiotics. The infection came back a couple weeks later, and again, was noticeable due to the unilateral swelling and tenderness.

I was a very compliant patient. Rinsing with my water pik three times a day. As a nurse, I know that sometimes, despite our best efforts, these things happen. The infection has actually resolved now, and I’m having the plate removed because the skin didn’t close over it.

As for the procedure, it’s an in-office procedure done under sedation. The surgeon told me that the recovery is similar to a single wisdom tooth removal, and that most people are back to normal in a couple of days. I’m still off from work for surgery, so we’re removinng the plate next Wednesday before I go back to work the following Monday.

I’ll make sure to update this post after the removal to let people know how it went. Please let me know if you any additional questions. I apologize for any typos - im responding on my phone.

xjoe28

#6 Post by xjoe28 »

That doesn't sound too bad. Weve been through worse! I look forward to hearing about your recovery. I will update you with my recovery too! Its really comforting to have a surgery buddy. You can message me anytime if you just want to talk to someone that can relate. I am willing to give my kik or some sort of messenger contact to anyone who wants to talk about our surgery/recovery. Sorry if I sound like a creep! I assure you I am not lol

drgnfly

#7 Post by drgnfly »

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had my right lower plate and three screws removed today, and here I am to report back on the process.. The sedation was perfect - I don't remember a thing but by the time I got home, I wasn't groggy at all. Once the local injection wore off 9on the way home), I had some pain - probably a 7/8 out of 10, but it went away quickly when I took a Norco and two Aleve. It's now been almost 10 hours since I took those pain meds, and I don't feel like I need any more at the moment. I may take two more Aleve at the 12 hour mark, and I have been icing on and off all day.

For anyone looking at a lower hardware plate/screw removal, I can definitely say that it was quick and very nearly painless.

Let me know if you have any questions!