Was Lower Jaw push-back not a good idea?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

koros

Was Lower Jaw push-back not a good idea?

#1 Post by koros »

I had lower jaw surgery about 4 months ago. They pushed my lower jaw back for my underbite, but I now feel like this didn't quite make sense. My lower jaw obviously grew to accommodate my tongue, airways, and jaw joints, now that it is pushed back I feel all sorts of strains with my lips and my mouth closing properly. My teeth do fit - barely, but they do fit. I feel I am at a higher risk of relapse due to all the muscles in my face already grew accustom to the position it was in prior to surgery. With the maxilla, there is no moving force that could cause it to shift. The lower jaw can move and change and bite. The maxilla is in a way - solid in place. Of course my orthodontist and surgeon and my family think I'm crazy for wanting to go through with the surgery again. TRUST ME, I wouldn't want to. I want to feel normal and rest my lips together without strain, breathe through my nose, and feel my teeth touch. That's why I got the surgery. I just was ill informed and went with the surgeons recommendation, which was the easiest way to fix my bite, yet it didn't even dawn on me that most people don't have just one jaw done and if so it usually is never the lower by itself. Every jaw problem, underbite, overbite, open bite, or whatever usually consist of some jaw moving forward.

Am I crazy?
Thoughts?

whatever123

Re: Was Lower Jaw push-back not a good idea?

#2 Post by whatever123 »

I had a lower jaw setback 10 years ago, and now?
They want to UNDO the lower jaw surgery, because the open bite I started with is now relapsing.

For me, lower jaw surgery was a very bad idea, and it only made my problems worse.

So now I'm looking at surgeons outside of our exclusive American medical system that fixes the individuals with the blessing of getting proper treatment.

whatever123

Re: Was Lower Jaw push-back not a good idea?

#3 Post by whatever123 »

Oh and I forgot to mention, the screws and plates in your jaw are fusing together with the bone. There's a chance they cannot remove the old hardware, unless they also do a bone graft at the same time. My surgeon failed to mention this!! And now the American surgeons are saying it might take another surgery just to remove the metal hardware in my jaw.

If your surgeon gave you the option to remove the hardware from your jaw, DO IT NOW, do not wait.