Considering getting screws removed post-Lefort surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fub442

Considering getting screws removed post-Lefort surgery

#1 Post by fub442 »

Hi there.

I underwent Lefort surgery about 9 years ago. Since then I've had constant sinus issues. I almost always have thick green discharge and occasional headaches. Have 2 screws that protrude into my sinuses. It took me a long time to consider that my issues might be because of the surgery. I have tried most things including many antibiotics, nasal rinses, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, but cannot seem to shake it, no matter how good my diet and level of exercise also.

Of course, I will see a doctor and have scans done and all that. I am wondering if anyone knows how feasible it is to have 2 screws removed this long after surgery? I have read that there is "increased morbidity" but I can't find anymore information. I am wondering if it's doable and what kind of risks I face.

whatever123

Re: Considering getting screws removed post-Lefort surgery

#2 Post by whatever123 »

They can remove the screws. they may need to graft bone from elsewhere in your body.

My terrible surgeon failed to mention any possible complications from the screws and plates he put in my mouth. Now the hardware must come out, so they can fix the surgeons terrible decision to do a lower jaw setback on an open bite (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??? :-+ )