Just told I need surgery not just braces.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kara033

Just told I need surgery not just braces.

#1 Post by kara033 »

Hey y'all! I've always had buck teeth from finger sucking straight till I was almost 20. I assumed all I need was braces once I stopped. Turns out I need a double jaw surgery and my chin pulled out. I also have a split palette and I have no clue what that is. I'm confused and don't really know where to start.

Illogical

Re: Just told I need surgery not just braces.

#2 Post by Illogical »

Well you came to the right forum. I strongly recommend to not watch the procedure on Youtube until after it's done - you don't want to be put off!

The procedure is actually quite quick and you should be back home within a couple of weeks maximum. Find a surgeon you trust and a good Orthodontist - the whole thing will take years so you need good people that treat you well. The last thing you need is to se different doctors every visit who are not really interested in you.

I'm only 3 weeks post SARPE and it's probably one of the hardest times as I have a metal device in my mouth which seriosly starts to get on your nerves after the first hour of it being fitted - but what can you do. I swapped my Ortho practice after my operation because my good doctor left and since then I feel like I'm passed from pillar to post... :GapToothed:

kara033

#3 Post by kara033 »

Years?? I’m only on my dads insurance 2 more year!!

Illogical

#4 Post by Illogical »

After two years you should just have braces and be going occasionally to have them adjusted. The surgery is the expensive part and that comes first and maybe again after a year if required.

Also if the insurance signs off that you can have the procedure I'm assuming it will include all steps to see it through to completion. For some people certain steps or surgery man not be required reducing the timescale.

Next time you have an appointment ask them to outline the steps in detail including timescales. Teeth can only be moved very slowly and recovering from surgeries takes weeks or even months - that's why it can take years to finally reach the end.

fullbald

#5 Post by fullbald »

I feel your pain, two years i walked into orthodontics's office and expected braces, but he told me double jaw surgery. It took me two years to get myself mentally ready for it.

Watch and animation on youtube and read up the blogs of ppl who had the surgeries. Those things helped me building up the confidence.

iceman89

#6 Post by iceman89 »

[quote="kara033"]Hey y'all! I've always had buck teeth from finger sucking straight till I was almost 20. I assumed all I need was braces once I stopped. Turns out I need a double jaw surgery and my chin pulled out. I also have a split palette and I have no clue what that is. I'm confused and don't really know where to start.[/quote]

Wait...You were sucking your fingers at 20?

Anyway, my advice would be to get a second opinion before you start. Because from what I've read online some of these surgeons just love to pile on unnecessary procedures so they can charge you for it. Personally I wouldn't do the genioplasty unless it was absolutely necessary because I feel you will be unnecessarily risking nerve damage just to look good. (And believe me nerve damage sucks!) I think you can achieve pretty good aesthetic results with just lower jaw surgery.

The most important thing is to go to an experienced surgeon. Someone who does these types of surgeries week in week out. Get the surgeon to explain everything. (Including the chance that you will be numb, chance of relapse, chronic pain/nerve damage etc.) Another thing that would be beneficial is if the surgeon and the orthodontists somehow know each other or have a good rapport.