Surgical Options-Delayed Union

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MPBanana

Surgical Options-Delayed Union

#1 Post by MPBanana »

Hello All,

I recently had BSSO Mandibular Advancement and have been following this forum for the past year and half to prepare me for my surgery on 8 May 2017. Everything went as well to be expected, minus my nerve being transected and a micro fracture of the mandible. I am writing this because I would like to know of anyone else experience with delayed union. Currently that is my status right now almost 4 months later due to unknown reasons. I see my surgeon next week and see what my options are but still curious what others experiences have been. I was banded for originally 4 weeks but then had a relapse or something and had them banded for 2 more weeks totaling 6 weeks. I felt a crack on the right side of my mandible by the surgical site and an X-ray was done immediately. The result of that x-ray was everything looked good and nothing was wrong. I wonder if maybe that crack i felt is the cause of my delayed union. Either way i am just worried surgery would be the only option but would like others input. I have been feeling pulsating site specific pain at the surgery site and my jaw is not as strong as i would like. I have just recently started eating small pieces of steak because it was hard to learn to chew again. I still can't eat big pieces of steak but its better then where i was 4 weeks ago.

STATS:
Weight loss: 19 pounds total after liquid diet. Originally weighed going in at 130 weighed 112 at the 6 weeks mark.
Current weight has stayed he same at 112 pounds, 4 months after surgery. I have pretty much eaten everything I wanted so the diet is 100 percent normal now.
Numbness-Well the numbness is still there it is sometimes localized but it does go crazy and sometimes i bite my lip.
Pain: Other then whats stated above it has to do with the lip sensations and strong pain of pins and needles in the cheek and lips that i still don't like but i am confident will subside in about 6 months.

Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.