asymmetrical jawline?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

icy321

asymmetrical jawline?

#1 Post by icy321 »

hi, I'm 16 and I've noticed that the left side of my jaw seem to be bigger than my right side. It's not really noticeable, but when you look closely, it is. Then I noticed that the sides of my jaw were uneven. It also feels like my right side doesn't have as much bone than my left side. I'm aware that everyone is asymmetrical, but it really bugs me off. Could it be possible that my left side didn't grew as even as my right? I do recall having my tooth extracted on my left side, and the teeth have shifted forward, and the gap of where the extracted was is now gone. Maybe that would've caused it? I don't know if I need to get surgery, or it will just even out as I grow. I've been obssessed with it during the past couple of days :?

Ravenclaw

Re: asymmetrical jawline?

#2 Post by Ravenclaw »

I think you may have condylar hyperplasia or something related to it. It's certainly consistent with the symptoms you've described. Since you're only 16, it's possible that the condylar hyperplasia is still active. In cases where there is still active growth, I think surgeons usually perform a high condylectomy first before performing orthognathic surgery. You may want to look up pictures of people with condylar hyperplasia to see if your case is similar to theirs. But you should definitely consult with a maxillofacial surgeon as soon as you can, so you'll get a properly diagnosis.

icy321

#3 Post by icy321 »

i dont think that I have it, but the angle of my jaw are somehow different from the sides. i've had some x-rays before, and wouldnt they pick up something wrong? and if so wouldve they adress it immediately?

jupiter98

#4 Post by jupiter98 »

It's not something surgeons typically address unless it's a glaring thing. I for example believe I probably have condylar hyperplasia.

It personally bugs me quite a bit. Ofc some asymmetry is normal and desired because nobody is perfect but I believe it also for me has caused noticeable asymmetry and makes my smile look quite strange.

What I'd say is talk to your parents and look to talking to an oral and maxilofacial surgeon about this. See about getting a consultation and see what ur options are. Nothing to lose