Surgery Relapse - Advice Needed

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jdon

Surgery Relapse - Advice Needed

#1 Post by jdon »

Hi guys...

It has been around 8 years since I last posted here... I had my jaw surgery in December of 2009 and you can see my original post history here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=33278

I'm looking for advice and your thoughts. Around 2 years ago I had massive TMJ problems -- I believe it is due to having a dual bite where I needed to actively engage the jaw muscles to get my teeth to mesh up.

After having the TMJ issues clear up a bit, I haven't been able to retain my normal bite unless I contort my jaw quite extensively. I'm now left with an open bite on the right side of my teeth. I went back to see the surgeon and he said the bite change is due to a relapse.

If I open my mouth wide and pull my jaw to the right I can get my jaw to slide into place similar to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_isIVTalYs

I've attached what the dual bite looks like.

What are my options? My orthodontist thinks I should do nothing but my surgeon is offering to fix the relapse for free.

I don't really want to go through the surgery process again. Recovery time to get back to normal took a long long time for me. I also feel that given that I am the minority that has experienced a relapse that I would be more likely to relapse again.

It does seem to be an issue though as my jaw muscles keep trying to remember the post-surgery bite and this conflict with the relapse is causing pain in that joint.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nozzelnut

Re: Surgery Relapse - Advice Needed

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

I can understand about not wanting to go through surgery again.

Have you talked to any orthodontists? They might be able to move teeth to a better position.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!