The emotional side of the journey

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tdc10

Re: The emotional side of the journey

#16 Post by tdc10 »

Hi Jon - thanks for starting this thread, I think this is a huge aspect of the surgery that deserves more attention. I haven't yet had my surgery as well, but in an effort to prepare for it mentally/emotionally (which is the aspect that frankly worries me more than the physical aspects of recovery, e.g., liquid diet and pain), I've been reading a great many number of blogs that I've found through this forum as well as some random Google searching. I'd highly recommend reading some, along with this forum's posts! Some people out there are very kind to share their personal experiences in a very detailed manner. I've learned many tips on communicating with friends/family about the surgery, how to occupy myself during the first few post-op weeks, and good liquid meal recipes as well. I've even had some friends read a few blogs to better understand what I'll be going through (and to see how major of a surgery it will be!). Most importantly, hearing/reading about other cases where patients had many of the same worries I currently have leading up to the surgery, only for them to say it was 100% worth it in the end, has been very reassuring. You're certainly not alone.

jon2413

#17 Post by jon2413 »

tdc10 wrote:Hi Jon - thanks for starting this thread, I think this is a huge aspect of the surgery that deserves more attention. I haven't yet had my surgery as well, but in an effort to prepare for it mentally/emotionally (which is the aspect that frankly worries me more than the physical aspects of recovery, e.g., liquid diet and pain), I've been reading a great many number of blogs that I've found through this forum as well as some random Google searching. I'd highly recommend reading some, along with this forum's posts! Some people out there are very kind to share their personal experiences in a very detailed manner. I've learned many tips on communicating with friends/family about the surgery, how to occupy myself during the first few post-op weeks, and good liquid meal recipes as well. I've even had some friends read a few blogs to better understand what I'll be going through (and to see how major of a surgery it will be!). Most importantly, hearing/reading about other cases where patients had many of the same worries I currently have leading up to the surgery, only for them to say it was 100% worth it in the end, has been very reassuring. You're certainly not alone.
Yes it worries me a lot more than the physical side of things too! And honestly for me it's not even the surgery as much as the build up to it. I feel like ill be fine once i have the surgery! I've actually read quite a few posts like that so i am ready to try and power through. I have a very "let's get this over with" attitude to the whole thing and i haven't even started! So it's going to be hard to think that way for possibly several years D:. Thanks very much for the reply :)

Illogical

#18 Post by Illogical »

I'm nearly 2 months post surgery and have an expander device fitted, I stopped turning it with the tool about 3 weeks ago. I am really sick of it now - I just want it out of my mouth. I don't think my jaw is ready to have it out but it would be great if I could just remove it for an hour or two of respite when I'm at home. My tongue seems to have developed an imprint of the thing...eating isn't great as it collects behind it. I can't wait until I can give my teeth a proper scrub with a toothbrush.

How long does it usually take until it can be removed? Is there something else that can take its place to keep the expansion but not quite so uncomfortable?

The day it's removed cannot come soon enough! :-+