Sleep after extraction for braces? (i have sleep apnea)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

finalexplosion

Sleep after extraction for braces? (i have sleep apnea)

#1 Post by finalexplosion »

So, its been a few weeks since my four premolars were removed in order to prep for braces. I thought I was healing well and i even went to work afterward the next day as braces aren't cheap. It was strange because the first day, I was okay, and the next day, i felt like sesame. It hurt quite a bit getting freezing on the tongue side Also, the top teeth on my left and the bottom on my right were difficult extractions. I have healed up well. My ortho is on vacation so, the next part of this process will be underway soon.

Today, I woke up and I could taste blood. Between the upper extraction point on my left, I slept on, and it might have been hard as, there was a clump of dried blood. :( I rinsed and it came and it started bleeding soon. My biggest concern is 1) infection 2) teeth shifting before braces.

Any advice on how best to sleep? I have slept apnea and it is hard so, i try side laying as I cannot sleep on my back. I woke in a weird ball and my mouth hurts again. I can only imagine braces soon :|

Nozzelnut

Re: Sleep after extraction for braces? (i have sleep apnea)

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

Infection is a legitimate concern. Maintain your oral health as your Dr has Rx'd.

Don't worry about shifting teeth; you're at the beginning of your treatment not at the end.

If you already have sleep apnea; extraction retraction orthodontics will only make things worse; not better. Unless you're a surgery candidate.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

finalexplosion

Re: Sleep after extraction for braces? (i have sleep apnea)

#3 Post by finalexplosion »

Nozzelnut wrote:Infection is a legitimate concern. Maintain your oral health as your Dr has Rx'd.

Don't worry about shifting teeth; you're at the beginning of your treatment not at the end.

If you already have sleep apnea; extraction retraction orthodontics will only make things worse; not better. Unless you're a surgery candidate.
I ate noodles the one day. Soft wet noodles. It got caught in the extraction point. I used a q tip to remove it. I returned back to soft foods.

I found the forum and people here to be extremely helpful like yourself however, seeing all the threads and people freaking out about pre molars or bicuspids retraction is scaring the hell out of me. My ortho told me due to crowding up front, this was the route to go for straight teeth.

I then saw a video on youtube about the risks of pulled teeth. I already did it so, its too late. The vid I saw, it showed frontal view fine. Its the alteration in the jaw from the side view.