Post osteotomy/braces relapse of open bite

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

heath2883

Post osteotomy/braces relapse of open bite

#1 Post by heath2883 »

Hello,

I had a BSSO and Genioplasty in August 2016. I finished up my post-op braces work in February. I have bonded permanent retainers on top and bottom 6 teeth plus a hawley retainer that I switch off between with a positioner. Here I am less than 4 months out of braces and my bite has opened again. I only make contact on my back molars. Prior to the BSSO surgery my bite wasn't even this open, it had closed nicely with the braces but I had a recessed lower jaw still that needed to be brought forward. After surgery obviously my bite was a bit different and I may have had a bit of relapse of my open bite then (from not using elastics for 8 weeks) but I am not 100% sure. I was in elastics pretty much all day/all night from October 2016- till February when I got my braces off.

My question is: has anyone else had their open bite relapse after surgery and braces? if so, what was the reason? How did you solve the problem? My orthodontist said that it could be one of two things: something unstable in the jaw (I also had joint surgery 3 years ago), or a tongue thrust. I can't imagine a tongue thrust could open my bite this quickly post-braces since I have bonded and removable retainers? I'm so frustrated because this was my 4th time in braces and I really don't even want to think of having to go back in them to close the bite again.

Thanks in advance!