Cost of jaw surgery in the UK?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jawed

Cost of jaw surgery in the UK?

#1 Post by jawed »

I've been told by my orthodontist that to get a perfect result, I'd need jaw surgery. I'm all about that perfect result, as I've struggled with self-esteem issues my entire life. Enough's enough, I need to come out of my treatment feeling as good about myself as possible, and so fixing my slightly recessed jaw is definitely on the agenda.

I'm scheduled in for another appointment next week to discuss treatment and to book a consultation with a surgeon if that's the conclusion I make. He's told me that if I were to go down that route, it would be considerably more expensive than what he's additionally going to charge me for braces. However, he doubts I'll need double-jaw surgery, as the position of my upper jaw seems correct to him. He thinks I'd be a good candidate for just the lower procedure, being such a mild case.

Does anyone have a potential figure for what that might set me back? I know double-jaw surgery can cost as much as $40,000 in the US, but I've never heard of anyone paying that much in the UK. Just the lower jaw procedure should be cheaper still.

Over the next 18 months, I'm confident I can rustle up £20,000. I wouldn't like to pay much more than that.