Open bite jaw surgery relapse?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blueman4000

Open bite jaw surgery relapse?

#1 Post by Blueman4000 »

Hello! Long time reader of these boards after going through a Lefort 1 in 2009 with a plethora of problems, trying to find similar situations and research what exactly was wrong with my teeth.

Trying to make a long story short, I've had braces 3 times throughout my life, 26 now, first at 12 with a pallet expander/braces, then a few years later with rubber bands/head gear, and then again at 18 due to a huge open bite, which also needed a Lefort 1 which was total hell for me. The wires broke in the middle of the night and the surgeon had to use osteodistraction(?) to push it back up in places. I was never truly satisfied with how gummy my smile turned out, but with elastics my ortho was able to make the bite close perfectly so I just figured it'd get better with time.

Fast forward 6+ years and I have about a 3.5-5mm overjet at the front of my teeth, it's only really affecting the front four and could be due to a tongue thrust, although I'm starting to think I have a lot more going on with sleep apnea/deviated septum/the whole 9yards. All my molar touch it just doesn't feel like a good bite.

I know I just need to go see my ortho but I really don't want to go through braces again, maybe lingual braces, but god damn 4 times in 2 decades will be tough. I really should have had my lower jaw moved forward as well but my surgeon thought only a Lefort 1 was necessary, total disaster. There always seems to be pressure on my top jaw right below my nose too, it went away for a few months I believe due to switching to a mouth guard instead of my retainer. My teeth moved almost instantly after having braces off presenting itself with a minor cross bite that didn't really affect me. Sorry for the rant, just a bit frustrated with it all and wish I could've had a hand in this from the get go. Thanks for any posts!

Blueman4000

Re: Open bite jaw surgery relapse?

#3 Post by Blueman4000 »

Not sure how to edit posts on here :o

Better angles: http://i.imgur.com/qClVMKn.png
http://i.imgur.com/iopOka9.png

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

What's your primary concern? Are you having difficulty chewing food? Your case seems pretty complex considering you've already had a LeFort before, so even if you do it, you'd probably want to discuss a treatment plan with a top surgeon who has experience fixing other surgeons' mishaps.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Blueman4000

#5 Post by Blueman4000 »

Mostly keeping it from getting any worse or from causing my teeth to deteriorate. I've already had 4 root canals and hoping to avoid more. Recently I've experienced some speech difficulties, but after so much work I figured I'd look for an opinion online :) if it's something braces, modified retainer, etc might help, any opinions are welcome. I really don't want to have another surgery as I'd assume it'd come out with some more problems, I'm stuck with this I just don't want to have neck issues or something down the road if my bite continues to get deeper