Long Jaw and Narrow/Open Bite

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LanaKat

Long Jaw and Narrow/Open Bite

#1 Post by LanaKat »

I have a long jaw and narrow/open bite. I went to the family orthodontist 2 years ago and he said I didn't need jaw surgery, and he recommended invisalign. However, I feel that my jaw is too long/masculine, and my chin looks receded. My jaw slopes downwards rather than extending horizontally. I hate how narrow my smile is and I hate the open bite. I also have TMJ and my jaw clicks loudly every time I yawn. Would surgery or braces correct the issues? I heard that an open bite can re-open again after braces due to tongue thrust. I am a "mouth breather" and have trouble breathing though my nose, so maybe this is why my face developed this way? I am a twin, and my sister had a tiny bit of an under bite, but she doesn't have a long face and her smile has always been wide and broad. People always comment on how we look nothing alike. I have 4 siblings, and every single one of them has a horizontal profile and less receded chin, and they ALL have broad smiles, including large teeth (I think teeth size is genetic, but it's odd that I'm the only person in my family with small teeth....)

Here are pictures of my teeth and side profile: http://imgur.com/a/ZJH2x

snapdresser

Re: Long Jaw and Narrow/Open Bite

#2 Post by snapdresser »

IMO, I concur with the orthodontist. I'd go for braces or Invisalign. The slight benefit you would get isn't worth the risks IMO. That said, it's your face, and it's up to you. Of course, your bite doesn't appear to be bad enough to get the surgery covered by insurance anyways. If you really want to move forward with it, you might consider getting a sleep study and see if you can get it approved that way.

RE: the nasal breathing. Have you seen an ENT to diagnose why you might be having difficulty with it? Some people have deviated septums and stuff that can have a big impact. Do you have allergies? If you do, you might consider trying to get on allergy shots or something. They can make a big difference with chronic nasal congestion.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018