Got my surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jbird

Got my surgery

#1 Post by Jbird »

How long did it take to get off pain meds? I had my surgery April 21. I'm still in a lot of pain. I am trying to use hydrocodone only at night so I won't run out. I see my surgeon Monday so will talk to him about it. Just wondered what others experience is. Now lots of stinging and tingling but I perceive it as pain.

Marriedonmaui

Re: Got my surgery

#2 Post by Marriedonmaui »

Hi- how are you now? Feeling better? I have tingling that feels like burning and pain. Not happy it's happening to you but now I know I'm not alone. Thanks for posting. I've had several different surgeries and have found that at some point otc's seem to work for longer periods of time than prescription meds. Of course you need to find out what you are allowed to take. Good luck in your recovery :D

Marriedonmaui

#3 Post by Marriedonmaui »

Also it's hard to heal if you're in pain. It really stresses the body. Please talk to your surgeon about appropriate pain relieve.

Jbird

#4 Post by Jbird »

I went back after that post and he changed me to Tylenol 3, which is a lot milder than the Norco I was on. I've also been taking ibuprofen round the clock. He said i could take that along with the other. At five weeks I was out of pain med and didn't ask for more. Just needing ibuprofen still, especially at night. I'm still burning especially chin area as the feeling comes back. I took off 6 weeks and I'm glad I did. It was a slow comeback but I'm back to work and feeling about 80 percent myself now. Thanks for asking.

I had upper and lower and UPPP which that might have caused more pain. I am now rid of sleep apnea, yay.

Marriedonmaui

#5 Post by Marriedonmaui »

That's good. I am less than 3 weeks out of bsso. I think we are both ahead of the curve with getting our sensation back. I think that's a good thing. I had Sarpe that went off without a hitch but I still have a numb patch. My bsso has not been as successful as I had the surgery redone days after the first time. I clenched so hard I bend the plates. I had a minor infection that my surgeon is treating super aggressively. Since surgery I've had 2 rounds of penicillin, 2 antiobiotic IVs, and now clindamycin for 10 days. I couldn't keep my jaw stable with rubber bands so now I am wired shut Pretty much over this, haha..., take care

Marriedonmaui

#6 Post by Marriedonmaui »

Hi- are you still burning? I am, especially at night. You are the only other person I've heard that had bad burning sensations. Sometimes when it's really bad I'll take something to help me sleep and go to bed early to avoid it. Sometimes I think I'm getting sensation back. It it's like feeling pressure through tingling not real sensation. Does that make sense? It's still early but man it's intense. I appreciate you responding to me. Feeling lonely in this process so it's nice to chat with someone who knows what you are going through. Be well

Jbird

#7 Post by Jbird »

Yes, anytime. On the 21st it will be 3 months for me. I haven't had any post op complications, but now my chin throbs. Tingling, burning, stinging is how I can describe it. I'm grateful because it means tbe feeling is coming back, but it does hurt. My chin and upper roof of mouth and lower lip still numb. But the chin is driving me nuts. I take ibuprofen at night when it's bad. Sometimes it keeps me up at night.

But my experience is that before the feeling was restored that each part of my face went through the same burning tingling thing. Take care, hope you're better. That's awful that you had to have it redone. Ugh.