Very unsure of surgery. Thoughts/advice? Have seen Gunson

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

recessedface

Very unsure of surgery. Thoughts/advice? Have seen Gunson

#1 Post by recessedface »

Hello,

I have posted this over at jaw surgery forums as well, I hope that that doesn't make this constitute as spam. I just want some more thoughts on my situation. I have a Class I/II bite and it *could* be corrected with braces alone. So in reality, and even according to Gunson, I am really just an aesthetic reasons only case.

With that said, the plan I was given was a double jaw surgery (CCW movement) + cheek augmentation with HA.

From a personal standpoint I can see some benefit, but am concerned about the multitude of risks (hallow eyes, widened nose, HA being used, etc)
and am wondering if just opting for a rhinoplasty would yield a good enough aesthetic result or if the jaws really should be placed in their normal development positions to gain that projection for the lower third of my face.

Any advice is appreciated. I can link the morphs someone was nice enough to put together for me as well!

Pics:
https://imgur.com/a/LrNpU

bighoss

Re: Very unsure of surgery. Thoughts/advice? Have seen Gunson

#2 Post by bighoss »

I am absolutely not a professional so I can't say with certainty what the correct choice for correction. From the data and measurement provided, I would assume an orthodontist could achieve a satisfactory bite by simply correcting the arch of both upper and lower. If this is true, I would avoid any jaw surgery/genioplasty. I would argue the minor correction the surgery would provide is not worth the hardship and risk. Your jawline, cheek, and chin definition is normal. It's not strong, but it's not noticeably weak. Your nose is somewhat disproportional to your profile. If you can achieve an acceptable bite and have no functionally issues surrounding your jaws, I say pass on surgery.

But... if you're not satisfied with your proportions and want a stronger jawline and fuller face, jaw surgery can provide that.

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

You're asking US about "good enough aesthetic results"? Only YOU can decide what aesthetic results are "good enough" for you. Just be cautioned that it's a slippery slope: even if you get the whole package with a bimax, cheek augmentation, rhinoplasty, the works, it doesn't turn people into models. You will STILL have aspects of your face that you're not happy with. Only you can decide where the line is for what aesthetics you find acceptable for yourself.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

recessedface

#4 Post by recessedface »

[quote="snapdresser"]You're asking US about "good enough aesthetic results"? Only YOU can decide what aesthetic results are "good enough" for you. Just be cautioned that it's a slippery slope: even if you get the whole package with a bimax, cheek augmentation, rhinoplasty, the works, it doesn't turn people into models. You will STILL have aspects of your face that you're not happy with. Only you can decide where the line is for what aesthetics you find acceptable for yourself.[/quote]

This is true, I guess I was asking both, if the aesthetic result is good enough to warrant jaw surgery vs other surgical procedures (like rhino).

[quote="bighoss"]I am absolutely not a professional so I can't say with certainty what the correct choice for correction. From the data and measurement provided, I would assume an orthodontist could achieve a satisfactory bite by simply correcting the arch of both upper and lower. If this is true, I would avoid any jaw surgery/genioplasty. I would argue the minor correction the surgery would provide is not worth the hardship and risk. Your jawline, cheek, and chin definition is normal. It's not strong, but it's not noticeably weak. Your nose is somewhat disproportional to your profile. If you can achieve an acceptable bite and have no functionally issues surrounding your jaws, I say pass on surgery.

But... if you're not satisfied with your proportions and want a stronger jawline and fuller face, jaw surgery can provide that.[/quote]

Yes, my orthodontist has already said it's a minor benefit for surgery in terms of function and really braces would get the job done very easily. There are no functional issues with my jaws, I'm just having a difficult time weighing the pros/cons and deciding if the aesthetics are enough to opt for surgery.

snapdresser

#5 Post by snapdresser »

You could do just a rhinoplasty for a better profile if you want, but I wouldn't bother with a bimax and all that. Not worth the risk and I don't think you'd be happy with the results.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018