Screws in gums removal procedure?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mechelleg

Screws in gums removal procedure?

#1 Post by Mechelleg »

I broke my jaw and had four screws put into my gums with elastics to hold my jaw in place. I was put under for this. Today I went in have them removed. He gave me a pin mouth wash to use for a few minutes to "numb" the areas. Then he proceeded to unscrew the first one but I was in so much pain it was unbearable and had to stop half way through. He told me to use some more of the mouthwash and left for a bit. He came back and we tried again but it was still excruciatingly painful. I was in tears but managed to keep my mouth open just so he could get it out of there. I refused to do any of the other ones after that. He was obviously frustrated but I was sincerely trying to be cooperative and do the best I could. He gave up and said I should book an appointment to be put under and finish the procedure. Im wanting to know if what he did was even okay, I felt like I was being a pain but I just couldn't handle it. He then also said that some people loosen and remove the screws with their fingers and remove them themselves and that perhaps I should try that. I couldn't believe it. I left and I honestly never want that man doing anymore work on me anymore. It was horrible.

FlyByNight

Re: Screws in gums removal procedure?

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

I wouldn't feel bad. He can't blame you for being in pain. Where are the screws located?

Mechelleg

#3 Post by Mechelleg »

[quote="FlyByNight"]I wouldn't feel bad. He can't blame you for being in pain. Where are the screws located?[/quote]

There are four, one above/below each of my canines.

Mechelleg

#4 Post by Mechelleg »

[quote="Mechelleg"]I broke my jaw and had four screws put into my gums with elastics to hold my jaw in place. I was put under for this. Today I went in have them removed. He gave me a pink mouth wash to use for a few minutes to "numb" the areas. Then he proceeded to unscrew the first one but I was in so much pain it was unbearable and had to stop half way through. He told me to use some more of the mouthwash and left for a bit. He came back and we tried again but it was still excruciatingly painful. I was in tears but managed to keep my mouth open just so he could get it out of there. I refused to do any of the other ones after that. He was obviously frustrated but I was sincerely trying to be cooperative and do the best I could. He gave up and said I should book an appointment to be put under and finish the procedure. Im wanting to know if what he did was even okay, I felt like I was being a pain but I just couldn't handle it. He then also said that some people loosen and remove the screws with their fingers and remove them themselves and that perhaps I should try that. I couldn't believe it. I left and I honestly never want that man doing anymore work on me anymore. It was horrible.[/quote]

snapdresser

#5 Post by snapdresser »

I would expect everyone to be a little different in a situation like that. You're asking if what he did was "even okay" and I'd say "probably". Unless this guy's Dr. Nick, I doubt he'd purposely do something unsafe. So the way your nerves are it make it impossible for you to handle; I don't think that necessarily means there's anything wrong with his original treatment approach, it just means that approach won't work for your case. That's ok. So be put under and finish it! Why are you asking this, anyways? Are you considering filing a malpractice suit against him or something?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018