Is this swelling?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fixmenow

Is this swelling?

#1 Post by fixmenow »

Hi guys, I`m just about 17 weeks post-op. I had two surgeries back to back due to serious complications (full story on this post http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 68#p489968)

Anyway, I don`t know if I am still swollen or if this surgery has ages me by 10-15 years. I seem to now have drooping cheeks. When I poke around that area (beside my nose into the drooping cheeks) it still feels hard. Could this still be swelling? Could it be scar tissue? Could this be how I look for now on permanently? I`m pretty upset about this. If this is permanent what can I do to fix it? I`m only 29, this kind of drooping is not normal.

jawregret1

Re: Is this swelling?

#2 Post by jawregret1 »

Hey! Do you have pictures of what you mean?

But honestly, 4 months is not very long. I remember people telling me your face changes for a year, and I didn't believe them at all. I'm now at 10 months post-op and I look different than I did at 4 months. Not as puffy, things settled more. So it really is true. If your concerns are with soft tissue, then it's really too early to tell.

fixmenow

Re: Is this swelling?

#3 Post by fixmenow »

jawregret1 wrote:Hey! Do you have pictures of what you mean?

But honestly, 4 months is not very long. I remember people telling me your face changes for a year, and I didn't believe them at all. I'm now at 10 months post-op and I look different than I did at 4 months. Not as puffy, things settled more. So it really is true. If your concerns are with soft tissue, then it's really too early to tell.
It is a soft tissue issue that I am concerned about, and I can tell that the right side is still swollen, however I'm not certain the left side is. I've read (since my original post) that the area I'm referring to is my tear trough which appears saggy making my eyes look hollow. This could just be my face and with the surgery of bringing my upper and lower jaw forward it is now more prominent? Apparently the solution to this problem isn't plastic surgery but fillers. But since I'll likely see more changes, I am going to wait at least a year before even considering fillers. As much as this sucks, I can be positive and have hope things will settle, and even if they don't at least fillers are a lot more minor than plastic surgery, and less expensive/risky.