Upper Jaw Surgery Reversal? Nose question and Depression

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

supersadrn

Upper Jaw Surgery Reversal? Nose question and Depression

#1 Postby supersadrn » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Will moving my upper jaw down and back make my nose small again? I'm a girl in my mid 20's and I got a botched surgery, every aesthetic nightmare I've read about has come true.

Almost two years ago I got double jaw surgery: upper jaw moved up (A LOT), forward, and tilted to "fix" a cant and lower jaw moved forward + genioplasty and SARPE. I had an openbite/overbite/crossbite and longface syndrome and at first was recommended to only do the bottom jaw.

My nose got really wide and REALLY flat like it's been pressed down with a finger, bridge tilting to the left side and lower face and chin swinging to the right; NO teeth showing at all when I smile when I used to have a gummy smile.
I look like a toothless grandma with a witch chin and lopsided face when I smile. Literal complete opposite of what my face used to be, at least it was more symmetrical before.

The entire time after the surgery I've been extremely depressed even to this day, and that is no exaggeration. I still look in the mirror obsessively, I try not to smile, I never take photos of myself and avoid being in them. I can't stand looking at the before and after and I think about all these thoughts every single day since the surgery.

My surgeon knows a lot has gone wrong and will do a revision on me. I really want my face back but I really don't want to risk getting my nose even bigger, he's suggesting my upper jaw to be moved down and forward.
But moving it forward will make my nose flatter/wider correct? what will moving it backwards do? I am really desperate for answers!

supersadrn

Re: Upper Jaw Surgery Reversal? Nose question and Depression

#2 Postby supersadrn » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:21 am

TL;DR: I just want my teeth to show again and my nose to not get any wider. What kind of movement can I suggest to make this happen?

jawregret1

#3 Postby jawregret1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:21 am

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I've experienced all the same things as you.

So for sure your surgeon is offering a revision? My surgeon suggested simply moving the upper jaw down (downgrafting) to make my tooth show good again. Why did yours suggest another forward movement?

snapdresser

#4 Postby snapdresser » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:01 am

supersadrn wrote:Will moving my upper jaw down and back make my nose small again? I'm a girl in my mid 20's and I got a botched surgery, every aesthetic nightmare I've read about has come true.
My surgeon knows a lot has gone wrong and will do a revision on me. I really want my face back but I really don't want to risk getting my nose even bigger, he's suggesting my upper jaw to be moved down and forward.
But moving it forward will make my nose flatter/wider correct? what will moving it backwards do? I am really desperate for answers!

The wideness of your nose is probably due to the sutures. Typically during the procedure surgeons put in sutures on either side of your nose to keep it from widening and flattening (I believe that's because when they separate the tissues at the bottom of your nose, they won't re-adhere properly without using sutures). If I had to guess, either your surgeon didn't do that or they placed the sutures too far apart. If they DO put in the sutures correctly during your revision, you should see a big improvement in that aspect of your nose. Your jaw movements won't have as big of an impact on the appearance of your nose as those sutures will.

When it comes to tooth show, bringing your maxilla back down will increase your tooth show. In the beginning of your post you refer to moving your maxilla back but at the end of your post you refer to it being moved forward, so I'm not sure which to respond to, but in general moving it forward will increase your tooth show, but there are rules of thumb for exactly how far forward it should be. Good luck! And sorry to hammer you so hard on your other post haha
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!

rimi1881

#5 Postby rimi1881 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:44 am

Hi Jawregret1,

Did you get a revision done? I was over impacted so am trying to organise a revision but am unsure what to do as told that down grating is very unstable.

jawregret1

#6 Postby jawregret1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:45 am

rimi1881 wrote:Hi Jawregret1,

Did you get a revision done? I was over impacted so am trying to organise a revision but am unsure what to do as told that down grating is very unstable.

I'm getting a revision done this summer to downgraft 3 or 4mm. My surgeon said he'd use hip bone for it.

rimi1881

#7 Postby rimi1881 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:05 am

Jawregret1 I hope your revision goes well for you x

Return to “Oral (Orthognathic) Surgery”