Updates after a botched surgery and Ask for suggestions

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Run10KToday

Updates after a botched surgery and Ask for suggestions

#1 Post by Run10KToday »

Exactly one year ago I had a failed jaw surgery (Dr D in phx,az) that resulted in a severe asymmetrical bite and jaw. I posted some pictures in this forum and jawsurgeryforums.com before and got a lot of supports/replies. I contacted this surgeon again as well as other surgeons around. Dr D. (again!) refused to admit any errors and refused to provide any details how many mm he moved my jaws. However this time he said he would like to do a revision WITH FULL CHARGES. I consulted two other local surgeons and they both confirmed it's not an ideal result, but neither of them can do a full revision. They are only willing to perform genioplasty (chin surgery). I'm very devastated. So here I'm asking you advice:::::
1) Can genioplasty alone correct this mess? I'm pretty concerned about my jaw asymmetry. Or do I have to have a full revision?
2) I would never go to Dr D. who created this mess, but he told me he's the only one capable of doing revisions for me (with FULL charges of course) and he offered me a "mortgage" to pay him $ for 12 months ---- I really don't have much saving now.
3) I have a job so traveling may not be an option for me. Only phoenix area.
4) I cannot mention his name here due to threats of law suits from his assistant. so I put his name with my xray in the link below.

Here's the link: http://imgur.com/a/joaP5

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you all!

scarface19

Re: Updates after a botched surgery and Ask for suggestions

#2 Post by scarface19 »

I think it depends if it affects your functionality. You don't look bad at all in my opinion even though it may not be the ideal result. I definitely wouldn't go through it again .... your bite looks quite decent. Remember that some surgery complications like alter sensations and numbness might make the situation worse. Do you have any side effects from the surgery? like numbness etc?

braces101

#3 Post by braces101 »

I don't see much of a problem other than your lower jaw is a little off center. It looks to me like this happened since you had your lower braces removed because in your x-rays it appears aligned. I had this same thing happen but it was fixed in a matter of days by just wearing rubber bands. Unfortunately since you don't have lower braces, it may be a little more difficult. I would suggest talking to your orthodontist about that particular issue. Take a look at this video: https://youtu.be/GMP93K1W70w

glennstanzalone

#4 Post by glennstanzalone »

It definitely doesn't appear ideal, I can clearly see your jaw cant. Have you consulted with Dr Sabol in Phoenix yet? He did my surgery and it went perfectly. He does the OMFS trauma wing at HonorHealth Scottsdale too in addition to his own practice. His bedside manor is amazing. He might be able to help you or give you some suggestions.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

snapdresser

#5 Post by snapdresser »

I can see the cant, but IMO it's not particularly severe, and your smile still looks very normal. People on the street aren't going to notice that cant. I would suggest that if you get a revision for cosmetic reasons, you'd be doing it to correct how you see it yourself, not how other people see you, because they won't notice that cant. Is how you see yourself worth the potential side-effects? Well that's up to you! Now if you have functional issues you want to correct with a revision, that's another story. Either way, good luck!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Run10KToday

#6 Post by Run10KToday »

[quote="glennstanzalone"]It definitely doesn't appear ideal, I can clearly see your jaw cant. Have you consulted with Dr Sabol in Phoenix yet? He did my surgery and it went perfectly. He does the OMFS trauma wing at HonorHealth Scottsdale too in addition to his own practice. His bedside manor is amazing. He might be able to help you or give you some suggestions.[/quote]

Hi glennstanzalone, I'll be consulting Dr Sabol. Does he perform genioplasty? I may not have a full revision but do plan to have a chin surgery to rotate my asymmetrical chin.

Run10KToday

#7 Post by Run10KToday »

[quote="braces101"]I don't see much of a problem other than your lower jaw is a little off center. It looks to me like this happened since you had your lower braces removed because in your x-rays it appears aligned. I had this same thing happen but it was fixed in a matter of days by just wearing rubber bands. Unfortunately since you don't have lower braces, it may be a little more difficult. I would suggest talking to your orthodontist about that particular issue. Take a look at this video: https://youtu.be/GMP93K1W70w[/quote]

Hi braces101, if I try to let my orthodontist put lower braces and rubber band back, will it also rotate my lower jaw a little bit and pull it back to the center?

braces101

#8 Post by braces101 »

I'm no expert and it is hard for me to see the asymmetry from the pictures. As others have said, it looks to be pretty minor, your bite looks good and personally I don't think I'd want to do a revision. Of course, I can sympathize completely and it is hard to say without being in your shoes.

What I was noticing was just the midline having shifted quite a bit off center since the x-rays were taken (as seen in the pictures where you are showing your teeth the lower teeth do not quite line up). I was just pointing out that is a fairly minor fix with rubber bands. I think what you're saying about your chin would be outside the scope of orthodontics.
3-piece Lefort 1, BSSO, Sliding genioplasty, Turbinectomy, Septoplasty, Wisdom teeth + bone grafts in Dec 2016

glennstanzalone

#9 Post by glennstanzalone »

Run10KToday wrote:
glennstanzalone wrote:It definitely doesn't appear ideal, I can clearly see your jaw cant. Have you consulted with Dr Sabol in Phoenix yet? He did my surgery and it went perfectly. He does the OMFS trauma wing at HonorHealth Scottsdale too in addition to his own practice. His bedside manor is amazing. He might be able to help you or give you some suggestions.
Hi glennstanzalone, I'll be consulting Dr Sabol. Does he perform genioplasty? I may not have a full revision but do plan to have a chin surgery to rotate my asymmetrical chin.
Sorry this too so long to update. He will perform a genioplasty. I wanted one but he said it wouldn't be necessary.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

Run10KToday

#10 Post by Run10KToday »

glennstanzalone wrote:
Run10KToday wrote:
glennstanzalone wrote:It definitely doesn't appear ideal, I can clearly see your jaw cant. Have you consulted with Dr Sabol in Phoenix yet? He did my surgery and it went perfectly. He does the OMFS trauma wing at HonorHealth Scottsdale too in addition to his own practice. His bedside manor is amazing. He might be able to help you or give you some suggestions.
Sorry this too so long to update. He will perform a genioplasty. I wanted one but he said it wouldn't be necessary.

Hi glennstanzalone, I talked to Dr Sabol and he believed there's nothing he can do to fix this asymmetry. I may seek a full/partial revision with other surgeons. Can you recommend anyone near Arizona? In the meanwhile I've updated some pics (first 2) to the link. http://imgur.com/a/joaP5 . Thanks

desertrose

#11 Post by desertrose »

You should consult with Dr. James Bertz. He takes on a lot of surgeries that are considered more "complicated" and he seems to really care about his patients. He takes most insurance as well so you'll probably only have to pay $40 co-pay for the consultation.

I have not had my orthognathic surgery yet but I had a chin implant that needed to be removed first and bone grafted. The graft went really well (I had it in August). Like better than before the implant. And I only had numbness on the incision spot (which he also fixed my scar from the original implant incision). Full feeling back by day 3. Considering the chin implant had eroded 6mm of my bone all around and was embedded in there and sitting right on my nerves (I would wake up with chin twitching uncontrollably from implant sitting on it).... I mean amazing. My nerves weren't numb at all. He had to sculpt the implant material too and he had to cut the implant into 4 pieces and take out a piece at a time to not damage nerves. Even the nurse when I woke up was like "I can't believe you look the same as before" (like the amount of implant that was left). I can tell you it looks better though.

Anyway, he's very experienced and came very very highly recommended to me by a local dentist friend of family. He has a ton of awards for contribution to the field and degrees in oral maxillofacial, dentistry, and plastic surgery.

My first consult the guy walking out before me had his jaw rebuilt (gunshot victim) and I thought he was there as a post op of orthognathic (it looked great!) I have heard (from other doctors) he is recommended a lot to people that had their jaw shot. I've also seen some of the letters and photos as adults that some of his past cleft palette patients have sent him (unsolicited) and they look like they never had a cleft lip (difficult to accomplish).

Anyway, if anyone can help you, it's him.

Run10KToday

#12 Post by Run10KToday »

desertrose wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:03 am You should consult with Dr. James Bertz. He takes on a lot of surgeries that are considered more "complicated" and he seems to really care about his patients. He takes most insurance as well so you'll probably only have to pay $40 co-pay for the consultation.

I have not had my orthognathic surgery yet but I had a chin implant that needed to be removed first and bone grafted. The graft went really well (I had it in August). Like better than before the implant. And I only had numbness on the incision spot (which he also fixed my scar from the original implant incision). Full feeling back by day 3. Considering the chin implant had eroded 6mm of my bone all around and was embedded in there and sitting right on my nerves (I would wake up with chin twitching uncontrollably from implant sitting on it).... I mean amazing. My nerves weren't numb at all. He had to sculpt the implant material too and he had to cut the implant into 4 pieces and take out a piece at a time to not damage nerves. Even the nurse when I woke up was like "I can't believe you look the same as before" (like the amount of implant that was left). I can tell you it looks better though.

Anyway, he's very experienced and came very very highly recommended to me by a local dentist friend of family. He has a ton of awards for contribution to the field and degrees in oral maxillofacial, dentistry, and plastic surgery.

My first consult the guy walking out before me had his jaw rebuilt (gunshot victim) and I thought he was there as a post op of orthognathic (it looked great!) I have heard (from other doctors) he is recommended a lot to people that had their jaw shot. I've also seen some of the letters and photos as adults that some of his past cleft palette patients have sent him (unsolicited) and they look like they never had a cleft lip (difficult to accomplish).

Anyway, if anyone can help you, it's him.
Thanks desertrose. I'll definitely go and see Dr Bertz.