could a post-op infection destroy soft tissue if left untreated for too long?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spookygee

could a post-op infection destroy soft tissue if left untreated for too long?

#1 Post by spookygee »

hey everyone. this thread is related to an infection i had about three years ago (one year post-op) - there was a small abscess that developed on my upper gum above my two front teeth that was pussing and i let it go for a while because i didn't know it had anything to do with the jaw surgery at the time. i think i let it go for like 3 weeks before visiting the surgeon and he immediately cut an incision, drained the infection took stitch out (non-dissolving, from the alar cinch) and i was put on antibiotics and things cleared up. he asked why i didn't come in sooner and i felt like it was a relatively serious thing to let slide and i agree. the right side of my nose area/cheek feels less full/hard to the touch than the left side when touching it, and after doing a little research i had myself convinced the infection started destroying tissue. it's either that, or the left side where the other stitch still is has developed scar tissue which would explain why there is a difference to the touch as i would massage the area for a few days when it felt a little tender.

my question is really, does anyone know if this type of thing is likely or unlikely - if a foreign body infection from a stitch left untreated for 3 weeks, could have led to soft tissue being destroyed? i might just be having anxiety, but i can definitely feel to the touch there is a difference on the left and right side of my nose/cheek area (again, one side could be scar tissue, but i wanted to clarify)