Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jawregret1

Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

#1 Postby jawregret1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Hello all.

I've had double jaw surgery and genio and I hate the results so much.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone reversing the procedure? I wish so badly that I could.

sarzo14

Re: Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

#2 Postby sarzo14 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:40 am

You hate the esthetics? Because esthetics are not that important, you bite, jaw position and no more problems are what's important. Did jaw surgery fix your other problems? But I do understand that because I will be going trough jaw jurgery not for only funtional problems, but I know it will/can enhance my estheticws and I don't want to look bad. But you don't often hear of reversing jaw surgery. I guess it could be done with bone grafts etc., but I'm not sure.

kpw818

#3 Postby kpw818 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:40 am

Second what sarzo is asking--are you more functional? I read about people feeling depressed after their surgeries sometimes--what is the problem?

jawregret1

#4 Postby jawregret1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:34 am

I had no functional problems before the surgery. But my bite is more ideal now.

I'm depressed because I could have had lower jaw surgery only, but the surgeon went all out doing double plus genioplasty to fit what he thought was prettier. He admitted it wasn't necessary.

I really hate the chin, and so much of my upper jaw was removed that you barely see my upper teeth now.

I would like the upper jaw positioned like it was prior to surgery, and then adjust the lower jaw accordingly. As well, the genioplasty reversed. I wished for a minimal change in looks to fix my bite, not the drastic amount I got. I don't care about fitting ideal measurements of how far your chin should project to be "beautiful" and what not. I just want to have most of my looks from before which could have been accomplished with the least invasive option (lower jaw only). I was happy with my looks before.

GGGUNIT

#5 Postby GGGUNIT » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:05 pm

What did they exactly did they do. I'd imagine if they did advancements it would be simple to reverse them, but a bit more complicated if they reduced your jaws.

In my opinion, the aesthetic results mostly come from advancements. People with underbites that only get their mandible reduced often look worse. Their submental area gets worse, jawline weakens and have a shorter profile. In a lot of cases, I think a lot of people would look a lot better if their mandible was only slightly reduced and their maxilla brought forward to fix their underbite.

But I'm sure there is a way to reverse it or at least get revision. I would wait awhile as you might still be adjusting to your own face, and it may objectively look better. You have a tough decision because the costs in terms of risk, money and what you forgo might be large to get a full reversal/revision.

jawregret1

#6 Postby jawregret1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:06 am

Maxilla:
-3mm anterior impaction
-3mm forward movement
-I now show no upper teeth at rest and barely any in a smile due to the impaction. Only lower teeth are visible at rest.

Mandible
-6mm forward movement
-some autorotation due to the impaction, making the mandible and chin more prominent

Chin:
-4mm advancement
-looks very pointy and does not blend in with my jawline anymore

Of course, this isn't taking into account my very very wide and flared nose post-op, but it's not my biggest worry. I'm mostly concerned with my smile that disappeared, my teeth not showing and the chin.

I forgot to add that many people agree with what I'm saying, that I look worse. Not deformed, but definitely worse.

GGGUNIT

#7 Postby GGGUNIT » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 am

jawregret1 wrote:Maxilla:
-3mm anterior impaction
-3mm forward movement
-I now show no upper teeth at rest and barely any in a smile due to the impaction. Only lower teeth are visible at rest.

Mandible
-6mm forward movement
-some autorotation due to the impaction, making the mandible and chin more prominent

Chin:
-4mm advancement
-looks very pointy and does not blend in with my jawline anymore

Of course, this isn't taking into account my very very wide and flared nose post-op, but it's not my biggest worry. I'm mostly concerned with my smile that disappeared, my teeth not showing and the chin.

I forgot to add that many people agree with what I'm saying, that I look worse. Not deformed, but definitely worse.

Are you fem and male? Can I also ask why you got it done. Could easily get max downgraft and genioplasty reduction.

jawregret1

#8 Postby jawregret1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

I'm a 21 year old female.

I had an overbite that was camouflaged with braces, but then my ortho said I would look better with jaw surgery and then my bite would be truly class 1. Also, ortho suggested lower jaw only but the surgeon went all out rearranging my whole face.

I really regret it. I would choose my slightly recessed chin from before over what I ended up with.

I know a surgeon won't reverse it 100% to my bad bite, but I know I want the maxilla reversed (setback and downgraft) to what it was before, and genioplasty reversed. Then the mandible could be adjusted. I want the revision to essentially do what would have been done had I ONLY had a lower jaw advancement.

snapdresser

#9 Postby snapdresser » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:09 am

How long are you post-op? Any chance you'd be willing to post some before/after pics of your profile?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!

jawregret1

#10 Postby jawregret1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:20 am

4 and a half months post-op

https://imgur.com/a/OR6sz

Here's the smile at the very least (looks waaay worse). I'll try to find a pre-op profile pic.

jawregret1

#11 Postby jawregret1 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:06 pm

So nobody has heard of this being done? :?

SingleJawMelb

#12 Postby SingleJawMelb » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:49 pm

No. But it's interesting that your ortho suggested you only needed one and your surgeon did both. My surgey decisions was left up to my surgeon and I wasn't given any suggestions about what would be needed.

It's a 2D image so I really can't say that you look worse and it's bad your surgeon did more work than necessary. Mine was one of those conservative Australian doctors that do as little as possible - prob so I don't end up in this position?

What has your surgeon said post op? Can you go for another consult elsewhere?

sarzo14

#13 Postby sarzo14 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:28 am

[quote="SingleJawMelb"]No. But it's interesting that your ortho suggested you only needed one and your surgeon did both. My surgey decisions was left up to my surgeon and I wasn't given any suggestions about what would be needed. [/quote]
I don't think it's that interesting. My orthodontist told me I would need surgery and told me it would be upper jaw surgery. When I had my fist consultation with my surgeon he told me only upper jaw surgery is not an option, that I would need double jaw surgery to get the best results. ;)

SingleJawMelb

#14 Postby SingleJawMelb » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:23 am

sarzo14 wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:No. But it's interesting that your ortho suggested you only needed one and your surgeon did both. My surgey decisions was left up to my surgeon and I wasn't given any suggestions about what would be needed.

I don't think it's that interesting. My orthodontist told me I would need surgery and told me it would be upper jaw surgery. When I had my fist consultation with my surgeon he told me only upper jaw surgery is not an option, that I would need double jaw surgery to get the best results. ;)

Kinda shows your ortho needs to let the surgeon give the plan for surgey, not the ortho. I can understand if it's a "loose plan", but clearly its not in the best interest of the patient to give two different directions.

GGGUNIT

#15 Postby GGGUNIT » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 am

Don't mean to be insensitive but it looks like you have a lot of body fat on your face and it wouldn't surprise me if your face leaned out, your chin and jaw would look amazing (jaw would taper sharper from the front). Your chin does look a bit out of place and lumpy, but what does it look like with a resting face? I personally wouldn't worry too much about your smile.

Return to “Oral (Orthognathic) Surgery”