Fall/Early Winter 2016 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pantlover

Re: Fall/Early Winter 2016 Surgery Buddies

#91 Post by pantlover »

littlebird wrote:
tdhenson86 wrote:I just got my surgical wires and hooks put on this morning! So strange. I thought I was a metal mouth before. Now, it's just wires all over the place. I guess I can now fit in with the name "metal mouth message board". ;)
Hey td, just wanted to say good luck to you this week. I'm heading to the hospital early tomorrow morning for my surgery. I'm nervous but also looking forward to it now. It's been such a long road. See you on the other side!

littlebird, hope your surgery went well!

tdhenson86

#92 Post by tdhenson86 »

littlebird wrote:
tdhenson86 wrote:I just got my surgical wires and hooks put on this morning! So strange. I thought I was a metal mouth before. Now, it's just wires all over the place. I guess I can now fit in with the name "metal mouth message board". ;)
Hey td, just wanted to say good luck to you this week. I'm heading to the hospital early tomorrow morning for my surgery. I'm nervous but also looking forward to it now. It's been such a long road. See you on the other side!
I hope your surgery went well! Keep us in the loop!
Braces on 06/25/15
Double Jaw Orthognathic Surgery (Lefort 1 and BSSO) 11/10/16
Surgery Blog: http://timsdoublejawsurgery.blogspot.com

Levi94

#93 Post by Levi94 »

One week after my BSSO surgery. I didn't get a genioplasty, is it normal for my face to look more recessed than I hoped? Swelling has gone down massively in the past few days, I look like myself again?

CandyApple

#94 Post by CandyApple »

Was your BSSO forward or backwards.? Mine was forward but I did have a lot of swelling which made my smile almost disappear like it was somewhat going backwards after about two weeks the muscles and the swelling started to loosen up and my smile started to come out and look wider. If you had it going backwards then I'm not too sure what you mean by looking more recessed? One week is definitely too early to tell.

littlebird

#95 Post by littlebird »

Hi All, surgery lasted 10 hours, surgeon is happy with the results. I had a lot of difficulty breathing afterward--on Day 2, I had to go into surgeon's office for him to fix my deviated septum and to insert a nose trumpet (very painful!). Even with all that, I still wasn't able to breathe and almost ended up in the ER. Very scary. On Day 3 I went into surgeon's office again and they gave me 3 bags of IV fluid because of massive dehydration. I'm finally feeling a little better today, Day 4, and have been able to drink some Pedialyte and broth. The swelling is starting to decrease, which is very exciting. I only needed a little painkillers after the deviated septum fix; other than that I haven't needed any of the strong stuff. Hope you are all doing well!
Issues: Class III retrognathic jaw, overbite, open bite, 4 mm airway
Braces on: Jan. 13, 2016
Surgery: Nov. 7, 2016; Lefort I, BSSO, and genioplasty

CandyApple

#96 Post by CandyApple »

Congratulations little bird for making it through sounds like you had a tough surgery, but you will feel better after that dreaded first week or so is over. Welcome to the done side!

tdhenson86

#97 Post by tdhenson86 »

Hey, everyone! I made it through surgery successfully! Had some significant challenges with bleeding and swelling, but I'm home.

If you want to read more about my surgery, here's a link to my blog post about surgery through today:

http://timsdoublejawsurgery.blogspot.co ... -flat.html
Braces on 06/25/15
Double Jaw Orthognathic Surgery (Lefort 1 and BSSO) 11/10/16
Surgery Blog: http://timsdoublejawsurgery.blogspot.com

littlebird

#98 Post by littlebird »

tdhenson86 wrote:Hey, everyone! I made it through surgery successfully! Had some significant challenges with bleeding and swelling, but I'm home.

If you want to read more about my surgery, here's a link to my blog post about surgery through today:

http://timsdoublejawsurgery.blogspot.co ... -flat.html
Hey td, congrats and welcome to the other side! Sorry to hear there were some issues for you, hopefully your recovery will be smooth!

madblogr

#99 Post by madblogr »

Hey all, just joining the list of those having surgery Fall/Winter 2016. I am currently scheduled for MSDO surgery on 11/29 (already rescheduled once from 11/22). I already had SARPE surgery back in early June and went through two expanders for 17mm worth of expansion in the upper jaw. Now onwards to lower jaw expansion. I had my pre-surgical and pre-op appointments last week and will have the lower jaw expander installed tomorrow.

littlebird

#100 Post by littlebird »

madblogr wrote:Hey all, just joining the list of those having surgery Fall/Winter 2016. I am currently scheduled for MSDO surgery on 11/29 (already rescheduled once from 11/22). I already had SARPE surgery back in early June and went through two expanders for 17mm worth of expansion in the upper jaw. Now onwards to lower jaw expansion. I had my pre-surgical and pre-op appointments last week and will have the lower jaw expander installed tomorrow.
Welcome to the party, madblogr!

madblogr

#101 Post by madblogr »

Thanks littlebird! As predicted, expander was installed yesterday. Feels like I have a thermometer permanently stuck under my tongue :lol: My ortho confirmed with the surgeon that the stepped incision will come out between 22 and 23 and surgery is still on for 11/29. I was worried after pre-surgical that surgery might have to be rescheduled since the resident mentioned I have virtually no space between lower front teeth.

newshinycd

#102 Post by newshinycd »

Hi everyone. Decided to jump in here since I'm scheduled for LeFort 1+SARPE and BSSO on 11/23. Yes the day before Thanksgiving. So, my family is doing Thanksgiving this weekend so I won't feel left out.

Right now, when I close my mouth only the molars on the back right side are able to connect. The rest of my teeth aren't able to touch at all. My top and bottom jaw are also slanted pretty bad. Hopefully this all works out. It's weird knowing that a week from now I'm going to be in the hospital.

WiredJon

#103 Post by WiredJon »

You're the day before me, newshinycd - good luck!

kpw818

#104 Post by kpw818 »

pantlover wrote:
kpw818 wrote:Hey CandyApple,

My upper lip is the main numb one. No straws, and I still dribble when I try to drink from a cup most of the time. My bottom lip is okay. I have a lot of numbness in my mouth (especially the roof of my mouth) and the sides, so eating is really weird, slow and messy.

One thing I noticed is that my sense of taste is off. Things are less sweet across the board. Made cupcakes last night and they seemed bland. When I drink fruit juice, it tastes straight up sour to me. I had some sips of wine, same thing. Anyone else notice this?
i'm in the same boat when it comes to numbness. I mean, everything from the eyes down have some sort of numbness but it's the upper AND lower lip, roof of mouth and upper sides, and chin that feeling is basically non existent for me so straws are a no go and cups are still a challenge but getting better. but my sense of taste is largely still the same. do you feel like your tongue is numb at all? maybe that's what's been altering your taste buds? that's really interesting.
Long time no talk! My tongue was a little numb, but it was mostly my mouth. It seems to be getting back to normal though, so that's a positive! How is your numbness now? My upper teeth are still pretty numb/roof of my mouth. Cheeks and some areas on my chin.

kpw818

#105 Post by kpw818 »

newshinycd wrote:Hi everyone. Decided to jump in here since I'm scheduled for LeFort 1+SARPE and BSSO on 11/23. Yes the day before Thanksgiving. So, my family is doing Thanksgiving this weekend so I won't feel left out.

Right now, when I close my mouth only the molars on the back right side are able to connect. The rest of my teeth aren't able to touch at all. My top and bottom jaw are also slanted pretty bad. Hopefully this all works out. It's weird knowing that a week from now I'm going to be in the hospital.
It will fly by! Super nice of your family to host a Thanksgiving prior to your surgery :)