Upper jaw surgery relapse?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alayah

Upper jaw surgery relapse?

#1 Post by alayah »

Okay so now i'm 11 months post op double jaw surgery. My upper jaw has been impacted and my lower jaw has been brought forward. I'm still in braces.
I realise relapse on my both jaws and it becomes more visible day by day.
A few months ago i realized that my upper teeth are moving up and down. I feel pain in my upper arch time to time. I realized lately, that my gummy smile has returned. It's crazy. I remember when i was 2-3 months post op my gums were not even visible. I looked at my x-rays from different time periods, and i can see that my upper jaw is slightly longer now. Is that even possible?
I read some posts about relapse after BSSO. My lower jaw is also dealing with a relapse now. As far as i can see it's happening a lot. But i never see a relapse after upper jaw surgery. So i wonder if you guys know about it. Do you think upper jaw can grow after surgery?

underbitewars

Re: Upper jaw surgery relapse?

#2 Post by underbitewars »

Do you think it's possible that the reduction of swelling in your upper lip is what has changed your smile?

alayah

#3 Post by alayah »

it may be due to reduction of swelling as you say but i don't think swelling would create that much of a change in between 6 months post op and 8 months post op. but i don't know maybe it's just me...
thanks for your answer.

Nanshman

#4 Post by Nanshman »

I had the same surgery 4 months ago and 3 weeks ago I noticed my upper jaw is moving up and down. My surgeon says he thinks it might be because I clench my teeth and my bone has softened. So he put me back on a soft/liquid diet. I have been looking for anything similar to key and this is the first i havecome across. I know its been a while but was hoping you got an answer and how you fixed it. If mine doesn't heal I've been told a bone graph is in my future.