Complications post op... another surgery.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Branwillaws

Re: Complications post op... another surgery.

#16 Post by Branwillaws »

So I'm back from my post surgery check up. Had the elastics removed so now I can open my mouth! Wow what a great feeling!!! everything seems to be healing well but I'm still to stick to liquid and super soft diet no chewing for another week. I see him again next week.

Snophik

#17 Post by Snophik »

Hi, I have read your post and I just want to say that I'm happy that everything seems to go so well after the last surgery!

Branwillaws

#18 Post by Branwillaws »

Hello its been awhile since i replied. Well i have some bad news. Ill be having a small surgery next Thursday. There still seems to be some complications with the healing, specifically on my right side lower jaw. The bone just doesnt want to fuse properly so ill be having a peice of bone removed and replaced with some other alternatives. Im not sure exactly but hes going to do something with my blood to make some sort of peice that will replace the small peice of bone. The metal plate is currently holding it all together to he will have to undo a screw and what not. It will be done under local anesthesia.

Im experienceing no pain, infact the area around there including a small portion of my lip is numb and ofcorse its one of the possible risks I may never get full feeling back. However i do not regret this surgery at all and love the way my face and teeth look.

On a side note. Some good news, braces come off in feb. So im looking forward to that.

Just out of curiosity what is local anesthesia like? Im a little nervous to have such an invasive procedure in an office setting.

snapdresser

#19 Post by snapdresser »

Good to hear from you again! For local anesthesia they just stick a needle a few places around where they'll be cutting to inject anesthetic. Not sure how many injections they'll give you, but it only hurts a little. Then they'll let it sink in for a few minutes while that area turns numb (though you'll still be completely lucid) and start cutting. It's no big deal, but it does seem weird to be completely lucid while they retract your flesh and cut/drill into your bone :shock: That should make for an... interesting experience :lol: Good luck! Hope you heal up smoothly this time.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Branwillaws

#20 Post by Branwillaws »

Hey im back, it was actually a lot better than i thought. They gave me an IV and i was pretty much out. I dont remember anything. So they removed a peice of bone I actually got to keep it, along with the screw that was holding it there. They did a bonegraft and everything should be fine. I feel fine. Hardly any pain. I literally woke up, and went to a mall with my girlfriend and ate lunch.

Hopeing its the last procedure ill need in my mouth. Tgis 2 year journey is almost done and it was interesting. 4 surgerys later!

Now just a few months for the braces to come off!

snapdresser

#21 Post by snapdresser »

Nice! Hopefully that's the last thing for you. They have you using elastics or anything? Have you noticed any relief on that tenderness yet?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

pantlover

#22 Post by pantlover »

Branwillaws wrote:Hey im back, it was actually a lot better than i thought. They gave me an IV and i was pretty much out. I dont remember anything. So they removed a peice of bone I actually got to keep it, along with the screw that was holding it there. They did a bonegraft and everything should be fine. I feel fine. Hardly any pain. I literally woke up, and went to a mall with my girlfriend and ate lunch.

Hopeing its the last procedure ill need in my mouth. Tgis 2 year journey is almost done and it was interesting. 4 surgerys later!

Now just a few months for the braces to come off!
hope this isn't too weird, but do you have a picture of the piece of bone they let you keep??? that's pretty awesome. lol

Branwillaws

#23 Post by Branwillaws »

snapdresser wrote:Nice! Hopefully that's the last thing for you. They have you using elastics or anything? Have you noticed any relief on that tenderness yet?
No elastics or anything. Im at the tail end of ortho treatment i have 4 more appointments the last one being in mid feb. My teeth in my opinion look great they are straight and well my initial double jaw surgery was may 18th so were almost 8 months. I like what i see in the mirror. My profile is nice, i have a slight open bite in the back but its hardly noticeable and i can live with it. Its actually just on my left side that the back doesn't fully touch.

I also unfortunately still have some numbness on my left side on my lip and around the chin. And that feeling may never come back. Again the benefits still outweighs the negatives.

Im in the military so everything was paid for and i was well taken care of. The maxillofacial surgey is actually a military surgeon which ill admit scared me a little at first but hes now down 4 surgerys and each one has been pleasant for the most part. I have to say the whole process was well worth it. The pain was very minimum. Its more of just inconvience and being uncomfortable.

I will write about my experience and show pictures when i get a chance.

Branwillaws

#24 Post by Branwillaws »

Today I finally had my braces removed. The last month was brutal with elastics however well worth it.

I just have that clear retainer I have to wear for my upper teeth for 24 hours for a month after that it will just be for sleeping.

So my whole process was actaully just short of a 2 years. Feb 15 I was braced and fitted with an expander on the roof of my mouth. My sarpe surgey was the following month in March.

After about a year I finally got the expander device removed. In may I had my big double jaw surgery with an advancement of about 7mm and my bottom jaw was repositioned straight. BSSO I think it's called? Just to be clear they did not move my lower jaw back due to the fact that this could create sleep apnea problems.

I had some healing complications and required a new plate be installed. A bigger more sturdier plate. I was then wired shut for 3 weeks.

Fast forward a few months and there is still some problems healing which required another surgery however it was a in clinic procedure.

It was a long summer was very hard at times but I would do it all again in a heartbeat. The surgeon and ortho teamed changed my life and I'm very grateful and lucky.

I'm doing great i love the results now it's just getting use to my smile and ofcorse whitening strips haha.

I would be more than happy to share any advice or experience with anyone. Cheers!

TylerWithBraces

#25 Post by TylerWithBraces »

[quote="Branwillaws"]Today I finally had my braces removed. The last month was brutal with elastics however well worth it.

I just have that clear retainer I have to wear for my upper teeth for 24 hours for a month after that it will just be for sleeping.

So my whole process was actaully just short of a 2 years. Feb 15 I was braced and fitted with an expander on the roof of my mouth. My sarpe surgey was the following month in March.

After about a year I finally got the expander device removed. In may I had my big double jaw surgery with an advancement of about 7mm and my bottom jaw was repositioned straight. BSSO I think it's called? Just to be clear they did not move my lower jaw back due to the fact that this could create sleep apnea problems.

I had some healing complications and required a new plate be installed. A bigger more sturdier plate. I was then wired shut for 3 weeks.

Fast forward a few months and there is still some problems healing which required another surgery however it was a in clinic procedure.

It was a long summer was very hard at times but I would do it all again in a heartbeat. The surgeon and ortho teamed changed my life and I'm very grateful and lucky.

I'm doing great i love the results now it's just getting use to my smile and ofcorse whitening strips haha.

I would be more than happy to share any advice or experience with anyone. Cheers![/quote]

How much did your double jaw surgery cost? Did you have good insurance?

Branwillaws

#26 Post by Branwillaws »

My treatment was covered through my work so I'm not sure. Sorry I can't answer your question:(