November Surgery Buddies!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sizerpro

November Surgery Buddies!

#1 Post by sizerpro »

Hi all!

First post to the board, although I’ve been an avid reader over the years, checking out tips and advice on various things through my treatment leading up to Lower Jaw Surgery. Op date set for 5th Nov!

I have a few appointments prior to my surgery such as wafer sizing, fitting and then my pre-op.

I’ve had Orthodontics for around 3 and a half years. I was really unhappy with my overbite and had them fitted when I was 27. I was hoping I would only have them on for 12-18 months but due to issues on the way it’s taken three years.

So relieved to have my op date!

Anyone else on here going under in Nov?

Cheers!

EWUgal15

Re: November Surgery Buddies!

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

ME ME MEEEE!!!

I am scheduled for BSSO and some necessary extractions on Nov 17th! When I get to surgery, I will have had braces for just over a year (bonding anniversary date is Nov. 4). Before surgery, I have a regularly scheduled adjustment, then just shy of 3 weeks after that, I will have my surgery hooks added to my arch wires, progress ("before") photos, x-rays, and impressions taken for the surgical splint. Then a week after that, I will have pre-op with the surgeon. I know its still over a month away, but I can't get it off my mind. I'm nervous and excited at the same time!

StefanoMI

#3 Post by StefanoMI »

I'll keep an eye on this topic. I still don't have a date but my double jaw surgery may be at the beginning of November (I think on November 2nd).
On October 5th I'll have my last wafer testing to see if everything is okay.

How many weeks do you plan to stay off college/work? I'm planning a 3 weeks off college...my surgeon told me swelling is very subjective so I hope to be decent looking after 3 weeks.

Good luck everybody!!

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

Since I'm only having my lower jaw done, my surgeon said 7-10 days recovery, but I'm taking 3 weeks off of work. I also have the option of working from home, so I plan to do that for 2 weeks after surgery. I have vacation time scheduled for the week of Christmas, so I don't think I'll actually be back in the office physically until 2016. I know my coworkers will be totally awesome about it, but I don't want to deal with people staring and having a hard time understanding what I'm saying because my mouth is banded shut.

EWUgal15

#5 Post by EWUgal15 »

Looks like it's just me posting here for a while, but oh well! Somebody might find it helpful, right?

It seems like this has been a period of herding cats. Once I managed to get all the appointments coordinated, it was off to work to get the leave approved. This was a nightmare. Our extended leave is managed by a third party and they are not a joy to work with. They have a 48 hour response time from the time that we contact them, and let me tell you, they take every second they can. Super annoying. I am not someone you want to let sit and stew. When they finally called me back, it took them 2 more days to email (yes, email) me paperwork. Getting my sections filled out was easy. Then it was off to the surgeon for their section. That was like herding cats. I didn't realize filling out a sheet of paper would take 2 days. I mean, I know they have other patients and things to do for their jobs, but my word. I finally called them asking where it was and magically, the email showed up in my inbox. It has since been faxed off to the leave management company and it's in their hands now. I don't see a reason that they won't approve my leave, but the more I work through this process, the more I realize its going to be a headache until it's done. I feel like I'm in a hurry up and wait nightmare. It's on me to coordinate all the appointments and papwerwork, but I have to wait for everyone else to answer phones and return messages. This is probably the worst part of this treatment plan and I will be so glad when it's all over.

The orthodontic front has been pretty simple...just keep doing what I'm doing until I'm told otherwise. That I can manage. I have to say though, I've noticed the two offices don't communicate as well as they led me to believe. For being two separate practices in the same building complex, and a husband and wife surgeon/ortho pair, they don't share details like I thought they would. I found out from my orthodontist that I will need extractions during the surgery. This wasn't news to me as both the surgeon and orthodontist talked to me about it before I agreed to the treatment plan, but when it came to the surgeon's office confirming appointments with the orthodontist, the surgery manager handling my case had no idea that was going to happen. I still don't know if the two offices have communicated using anything other than email, but I hope everything is resolved before pre-op on November 10.

I will be so excited when this part of treatment is over. I'm not worried too much about the surgery right now...it's mostly been the planning that has stressed me out so far. I know recovery will be hard, but I feel like once the mountain of planning for surgery and the actual surgery are over, it will be a simple downhill slide to the final product.

My next step is to start buying supplies...right now its looking like a blender, a wedge pillow, jaw bra, and some nice drool towels. I work for a credit union and we're converting our credit cards from Visa to MasterCard, so I'm really excited to be an employee pilot on that project and start using my new card next week!

EWUgal15

#6 Post by EWUgal15 »

Still waiting to hear if my leave is approved by the absence management group that my company uses for medical leave and extended absences. That is very frustrating. I'm still waiting on a new pre-authorization from the insurance company too. Don't even get me started on that process.

This phase seems to be nothing but frustration. On top of the two things I just mentioned, I'm starting to worry about my support network. My boyfriend is phenomenal, I know he will be there for my surgery and post op appointments...and willing to take care of me 100%. My family on the other hand, I don't know. I live about 2 hours away from my parents and older brother. It's not a bad drive, unless there's snow...and I don't think we'll be seeing any of that any time soon (it's still getting into the low 80s around these parts, which is very strange for this time of year). My mother insisted on knowing when my surgery would be, insisting that she would take time off work to stay with me for a few days to help out. Well, I told her I would let her know...partially because I didn't want her to get bored having nothing to do being in town, partially because I didn't want her to take too much time off of work, and partially because at 25, working a full time career that is more advanced than hers and basically buckling down for my adult life, I feel like I don't need my mommy to hold my hand any more. Well, I got my post op appointment schedule (not actual dates, just the frequency of appointments) and I don't think my boyfriend is going to be able to get enough time off to help out with the first few that I might need him for...so I invited my mom to stay with me. She kind of snubbed me. Said she would talk to my dad and get back to me. I haven't heard from her in 3 days. I'm a little disappointed and depressed about that. I know I don't need her to hold my hand, but I thought she wanted to help. Now I'm not so sure. This has been an ongoing thing as of late...she's been really distant and I feel like she doesn't want to talk to me at all...not just about surgery, but life in general. I moved out of my parents house 4 years ago, but I've done my best to stay close with them and I'm starting to really feel the physical distance between their house and mine. The last thing I want is to feel disappointed about this ordeal because I'm really happy to get this out of the way and finally have a properly functioning food hole, but I'm really sad that I don't have the support of my family through this whole thing. I guess it's up to my boyfriend and our cats to help me stay positive and be the support network I need to get through this.

EWUgal15

#7 Post by EWUgal15 »

Well, I got the letter from the absence management company my employer uses. My medical leave has been "conditionally approved". I don't really know what that means except that I don't have to do anything else with them until the day of surgery. I guess I'm supposed to report hours, but I don't know how I will do that if I can't talk.

I think all that's left is waiting on the insurance company to respond to the pre-authorization that has been requested for surgery. Why does this have to be so stressful?

EWUgal15

#8 Post by EWUgal15 »

ARGH!

Just got a call from the surgeon's office. My last visit with them was September 15, where they said I was ready pending the discussion with the orthodontist. Well...I called the surgeon on Sept 1 or 2 asking to re-submit my pre-authorization. I found out today that it wasn't re-submitted until after my appointment on the 15th. So 2 weeks was wasted there...then I find out that the insurance company needed more information and that was sent over on October 1. So right now, I'm in a status where my once pre-approved surgery could be denied because nobody kept me in the loop after I did my pro-active work to get this thing submitted again. Hopefully, I will have an answer within the next couple weeks. The estimate they gave me last year for out of pocket costs without insurance was almost $11,000...and I don't know if that included the anesthesia.

I am so unbelievably mad right now. I wish this was the first time the surgeon's office had screwed up, but it's not. I was happy to find a surgeon that so many people trusted (my orthodontist, his family and his entire team in the office), but between going to appointments and waiting in the exam chair for 20 minutes before someone sees me (which has been every single appointment), the doctor spending all of about 2 minutes with me after making me wait that long, and his screw up with my boyfriend's extractions back in July, I am so ready to never have to deal with him again. I really would like to send him a bill for all the time of mine he's wasted just making me wait for him to grace me with his presence.

Stellla

#9 Post by Stellla »

Hi guys !
Also a first time poster, but I've been looking and reading here for some time since I've started my orthodontic process and it's been helping a lot !
I'm from Canada and English is not my first language so please excuse any mistakes :P

I just had my SARPE surgery date and it will be on November 16 ! I'm really excited, but also pretty nervous, it's all happening so fast haha I had my first ever appointment with my orthodontist just a few weeks ago and I don't even have the braces on yet, I'm getting the bottom ones on the 20th of this month. For now I'm only wearing elastic spacers on top molars so they can get the molds done for the RPE at my next appointment when I'll get the braces. I'll be having the hybrid Hyrax expander, which is fixed on both the teeth and the palate bone.
It doesn't seem like the most common expander people get in the US, from all the blogs I've read, so I wonder if someone here has any thoughts or experience with it ?

I'm really glad I found this forum, it's nice to be able to talk with other people that are going through a similar process at the same time, and I hope to hear from you guys soon ! :)

StefanoMI

#10 Post by StefanoMI »

Hey guys, hope you're all doing well with your pre-op appointments!

Personally I'm quite fed up now. On October 5th I had an appointment with my orthodontist to try the wafers. As soon as I arrived they told me the wafers weren't ready yet and I must wait a call from my orthodontist for my new appointment. It's getting ridiculous. I'm ready for surgery since July 26th but wafers are still not ready!
And I still don't have a date because they want to see if the wafers fit properly before giving me one.

I gave them an ultimatum saying I won't accept a date after November 9th.

Ah, to make things worse they perform jaw surgery only on Monday so there aren't lots of dates available.

The "funny" thing is that I could do this surgery for free (I live in Italy) but I chose to do it privately shelling out tens of thousands of € because I wanted to do it faster.

I'll update as soon as I have news. Good luck everybody :D

EWUgal15

#11 Post by EWUgal15 »

StefanoMI wrote: Personally I'm quite fed up now. On October 5th I had an appointment with my orthodontist to try the wafers. As soon as I arrived they told me the wafers weren't ready yet and I must wait a call from my orthodontist for my new appointment. It's getting ridiculous. I'm ready for surgery since July 26th but wafers are still not ready!
And I still don't have a date because they want to see if the wafers fit properly before giving me one.

I gave them an ultimatum saying I won't accept a date after November 9th.

Ah, to make things worse they perform jaw surgery only on Monday so there aren't lots of dates available.
I think it's strange that they didn't call you beforehand to tell you that your wafers weren't ready. I'm not really sure what you mean by wafers, but I imagine they are made from molds of your teeth, so it is definitely odd that they aren't ready yet...especially if you've been cleared for surgery since July.

If I may, what's stopping you from taking a date after November 9?

I hope the orthodontist gets it together for you soon. I know the waiting is the worst part...and then once you have the date, it seems like time just flies.

EWUgal15

#12 Post by EWUgal15 »

Just a quick update:

I'm still waiting for the insurance company to send my pre-authorization back. I can't imagine what could be taking so long since they approved it once before.

I started buying surgery supplies: a new blender, a wedge pillow to sleep with my head elevated to help with the swelling, a FaceCaddy jaw bra thing to hold hot/cold packs on my face, and some black towels to help with drool that won't show any blood stains. I can't really think of what else to buy since my surgeon said I could go back to regular hygiene right after surgery...which I think will help with stretching and working the muscles with my jaw in a new position. I can't believe I'm just over a month away...5 weeks from today!

EWUgal15

#13 Post by EWUgal15 »

Stellla wrote:Hi guys !
Also a first time poster, but I've been looking and reading here for some time since I've started my orthodontic process and it's been helping a lot !
I'm from Canada and English is not my first language so please excuse any mistakes :P

I just had my SARPE surgery date and it will be on November 16 ! I'm really excited, but also pretty nervous, it's all happening so fast haha I had my first ever appointment with my orthodontist just a few weeks ago and I don't even have the braces on yet, I'm getting the bottom ones on the 20th of this month. For now I'm only wearing elastic spacers on top molars so they can get the molds done for the RPE at my next appointment when I'll get the braces. I'll be having the hybrid Hyrax expander, which is fixed on both the teeth and the palate bone.
It doesn't seem like the most common expander people get in the US, from all the blogs I've read, so I wonder if someone here has any thoughts or experience with it ?

I'm really glad I found this forum, it's nice to be able to talk with other people that are going through a similar process at the same time, and I hope to hear from you guys soon ! :)
Welcome aboard! From other threads and blogs I've read about SARPE, it sounds pretty normal that top braces are put on after the procedure and the expander. But it sounds like you'll have the bottom ones to get used to, so I think the tops will be a piece of cake when you get them. Keep us updated on the whole process!

EWUgal15

#14 Post by EWUgal15 »

Went to the orthodontist today for a regular adjustment today. The orthodontist had me move my jaw forward and to one side and I couldn't do it. I kept laughing because it felt so unnatural. Things are pretty much the same until Nov 2 when I go in for my surgical hooks. I will be interested to see what kind of changes are made that day, aside from the extra hooks. Surgery will be here before I know it, I just hope I don't blink and miss the next 5 weeks.

Stellla

#15 Post by Stellla »

Hi guys :)

I just got out of the orthodontist's office and I now have the bottom braces on, woohoo !
It went great, not feeling any discomfort yet, but I took a Naproxen before the appointment so we'll see how it goes in the next few hours.

Like EWUgal15 said, surgery day will be here real fast and I can't wait for it to be done.
Will be getting the expander 4 days before the surgery, and total expansion will be 13mm, so the gap is gonna be quite impressive haha

Also, thanks for the great welcome to the community, and I hope it's all going great for you all !