SARPE Date!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nataliepryor

SARPE Date!

#1 Post by nataliepryor »

After 3 years of deciding I have finally elected to have double jaw surgery.

The first part of my process will be a SARPE and I will be having this done on September 18th, then there is no backing out of it!!! I hope it doesn't feel too weird as it's going to be in there for a few months!

So the journey begins.....

UnevenJAG

Re: SARPE Date!

#2 Post by UnevenJAG »

Goodluck! Do you have a date for the jaw surgery yet?
**Uppers Braced 18/07/2014**
**Bottoms Braced 17/09/2015**
Double Jaw surgery 11th Jan 2017
Blog - http://jacintasjawsurgery.com

nataliepryor

#3 Post by nataliepryor »

Hi,

Thank you. I don't have a date as yet, but I think I will have by the end of this year.

My surgeon estimated 12 months from starting, so could be around September 2015.

Have you had or having Surgery?

UnevenJAG

#4 Post by UnevenJAG »

Haven't had surgery yet, ortho estimated surgery in about 15 months and surgeon says that probably correct. Looks like we might be having the surgery around the same time roughly.
Do you happen to know what they will be moving etc in the surgery? I'm not overly aware of the details. It I think top jaw on one side will be shortened up (it's over gown hence my asymmetry) and pretty much same with bottom jaw to match back up.

jaime

#5 Post by jaime »

Good luck!! This is exciting for me because I just had SARPE 6 months ago and haven't really found any other adults going through it right now. Almost all the SARPE blogs are old!
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

UnevenJAG

#6 Post by UnevenJAG »

I had never heard of it before this forum that's for sure, glad you're excited :)

The thing I'm looking forward to is when the braces finally go on, it's been such a long time coming!

jaime

#7 Post by jaime »

UnevenJAG wrote:I had never heard of it before this forum that's for sure, glad you're excited :)

The thing I'm looking forward to is when the braces finally go on, it's been such a long time coming!
I know exactly how you feel! As a SARPE patient who just got braces, let me just say one thing: cherish your braceless teeth now!!! SARPE is a pain but braces are a lot of work!
My blog

UnevenJAG

#8 Post by UnevenJAG »

Haha yeah I bet once they are on I will be thinking 'why was I in such a rush to get these on again' I think more just to keep the ball rolling and the journey going I want them on already.

I can be a bit impatient sometimes

jaime

#9 Post by jaime »

I was just looking at your blog and that face caddy thing is so cool! I bookmarked it so I can buy it when my surgery date gets closer. That looks like a lifesaver. They gave me something at the hospital after SARPE but it kept leaking ice all over me.
My blog

UnevenJAG

#10 Post by UnevenJAG »

I know right! Like the blog says I got a bit ahead of myself and purchased one yesterday, but figure I can use it in the meantime. I haven't seen anything like it around, it's awesome as, glad you think so too :)

nataliepryor

#11 Post by nataliepryor »

With my Jaw Surgery, I am having lower jaw advanced and tilted up a bit and upper impacted. Maybe Genioplasty.

First the expander, 30 days later braces go on...will be October.

Yes many of the Sarpe threads are old, nice to know we are not alone though.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes UnevenJAG, sounds like we are on similar timeline :D

UnevenJAG

#12 Post by UnevenJAG »

It still amazes me the sheer number of people in similar situations. When I first found out I'd be needing surgery I honestly thought it was fairly rare, turns out it's the opposite. I'm glad of that though, it's nice to know we're not alone and can talk to someone who it going through the same stuff.

Just did a bit of research the other day regarding septoplasty, will ask my surgeon at my next consult to see if he feels it needs to be done and if it can be done at the same time, I have a pretty obvious deviated septum and when my jaw is finally corrected and hopefully symmetrical my nose definitely will become obvious

nataliepryor

#13 Post by nataliepryor »

Yes agree!! My surgeon was telling me half of Melbourne has had this done and I was like yeah right!

As it turns out,a few people I know have in past years and I had no idea, until now.

I am also having the septoplasty ... I have a very narrow airway, he said he would also make my nose look a bit better lol.

You will have braces before me, so keep us updated on your progress!!

UnevenJAG

#14 Post by UnevenJAG »

Oh you're in Australia too! I'm in Brisbane :)

Sometimes I have a million questions for my surgeon and then when I actually see them and they ask if I have any questions my head just goes blank lol.

It'll be interesting if my surgeon would perform the septoplasty (if he thinks I need it - I do!) I wish I could see what my face and smile will look like after all treatment completed, it's hard to imagine the outcome.

I surely will keep you all updated, my next appointment at the ortho is this coming Tuesday so I'll ask him again about time frame for braces and if he has a more exact date to give me.

nataliepryor

#15 Post by nataliepryor »

Oh awesome, Brisbane, my cousin lives in Manly ...we visit sometimes to escape the Melbourne cold!

That's terrific, we can share our Aussie Jaw information ! Lol def keep me posted and hope your appointment goes great.

Can you actually get a computer image done of projected outcome?? That would be great, not such a shock afterwards :lol: