Surgery for Moderate to Severe Class II?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Teigyr

Class II surgery

#16 Post by Teigyr »

Hi -

Both of my ortho evaluations and the OS said that surgery was pretty much the only option for me. The problem with pulling teeth and fixing the overbite would be the "sunken face" effect.

My OS said no problems with operating on someone older. I am 42 and am a good candidate. He is well-known in the field and does a lot of work with training and teaching. I've also heard that people come out of state to go to him.

You'd have to go with whatever would work the best for you, of course. But either way you're looking at surgery, I guess.

My OS is out-of-network also but I figure I'll pay the money for someone good. My insurance will pay some but I'll still be out $3,000 +/-.

kitkat

Jaw surgery at age 47

#17 Post by kitkat »

Hi everyone,
I am in my late 40's old and have been in braces for two years. I have a surgery date in the new year for upper/lower/genio. I have researched this surgery extensively and permanent disability is a rare occurance, regardless of age. For more information on this surgery please check out at yahoo groups, orthognathic surgery support and orthognathic surgery site 2 . Best wishes to all.
Kitkat

fenderella

Re: orthognathic surgery

#18 Post by fenderella »

I'm a Class II getting my braces on August 31st.
(Extractions on Aug 13th, spacers on Aug 22 and then braces on Aug 31---what a WEEK!).
My ortho told me that my lower jaw is retruded, which I always noticed and always hated because it made my profile look weird, in my opinion.
I learned that because insurance companies think oral surgery is purely cosmetic (it's not always), they wont cover it. So, I opted to wait until i could save up for the surgery, either during the time I have my braces (if possible) or after my braces are off.

I definitely think it will make chewing easier. And I think it will lengthen the way the jaw looks a bit. If anyone has pictures of before and after surgeries...post 'em! 8)

"Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts. "
Jim Morrison

nvcarissa

Re: orthognathic surgery

#19 Post by nvcarissa »

fenderella wrote:I learned that because insurance companies think oral surgery is purely cosmetic (it's not always), they wont cover it.
Unless your insurance specifically excludes orthognathic surgery, I would go ahead and get the consult and have the OS submit the pre-authorization to your insurance company. Believe me, they know how to word the pre-auth because they have to deal with this so much. My OS specifically indicated that this procedure was NOT for cosmetic purposes but to improve function. I got approved and didn't have to wait until I saved up the money for the surgery. And my ortho would not have put on my braces until I had the pre-auth because not having the surgery was not an option for my treatment. He said I would wind up in worse condition.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.