Do we have a July 2012 buddy group yet?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bloomingcactus657

Re: Do we have a July 2012 buddy group yet?

#16 Post by Bloomingcactus657 »

Geez, talk about ortho/surgeon communication problems :(

Bloomingcactus657

#17 Post by Bloomingcactus657 »

Are yall getting nervous now? It seems so close!

DRG73

#18 Post by DRG73 »

I wanted to wish you all good luck on your upcoming surgeries! I had to reschedule mine until September. I wish I could be getting this over with this month. I will follow your progress in the days and weeks to come!

dorothysnarker

#19 Post by dorothysnarker »

I just found out today that I am scheduled for surgery on July 30th. I know I'm having a two-piece Lefort I and a BSSO, but I'll know the full list of procedures after my pre-surgery workup on the 23rd.

Good luck to everyone else going under the knife this month! :D

smilesmakemehappy

#20 Post by smilesmakemehappy »

My surgery is scheduled for July 20th, 2012 at 11:30AM. I'm getting a Lefort I osteotomy, only a little bit of movement (I think... less than 3mm) to correct an underbite.

Not gonna lie, getting a bit nervous as the date approaches but my surgeon is extremely confident in his abilities and that's relaxing, to say the least.

Not sure if I should create a new thread or just post in this one. I think I'll stick here.

Bloomingcactus657

#21 Post by Bloomingcactus657 »

@smiles- I had the same thing done you are having, but mine was this morning. It hurts but I felt. Better once I got home about 3.

smilesmakemehappy

#22 Post by smilesmakemehappy »

Good to hear! It's two days away now. Nerves are easing a little, but I'm still really anxious. I want it to be over with, but I suppose that's typical. At the very least I get a pleasant mix of drugs afterwards. ;)

Bloomingcactus657

#23 Post by Bloomingcactus657 »

You're going to laugh, but I was so drugged the first day I have no idea how I got that reply out. That must have been much later in the day. The first day was the worst, mostly bc you really have no idea exactly what to expect even if you've read a billion blogs of people who have done it. I was mostly groggy the first two day from the pain meds, but my pain was very well-controlled. I'm on day 6 now :) I also had a pretty small movement but I am so pleased with how my bite looks. I'm still swolle but I already think it was worth it. Let me know how everything goes!!!

Jan2012

#24 Post by Jan2012 »

Hello,

I have been watching this post closely, mainly because I had my surgery 7/17/2012, yesterday and I am a 44 yr old female. I had a lower jaw surgery to correct an underbite. I used IVRO and not BSSO. I am wired shut for 4-6 weeks. I am happy with surgery. H
I Have not used strong narcotics. Used ONLY regular painkiller and ice. This method given me what I wanted...I lost NO feelings around my chin, face and gums. SO WORTH IT! I know I have to be wired shut for a while, but given my age, I have much smaller chance of regaining nerve reconnection. Just think, given I have zero numbness and I am not in serious pain, I am very blessed!

So far, doctor is very happy with result. My motivation for surgery is the neck, shoulder, upper back muscle aches and jaw soreness along with occasional sharp ear aches. These aches and pains only got worse as I got older. Finally, I decided to fix the problem while I am still "young" enough to recover.

I wish you all luck in your jaw surgery journey!

Jan

smilesmakemehappy

#25 Post by smilesmakemehappy »

Surgery was at 11:30AM yesterday. My maxilla was moved 4mm forward. A bit of smelling, but not too bad. I haven't really seen my bite yet because I haven't looked in the mirror much and my mouth isn't too mobile. I get elastics in on Friday. Experience was nerve-wracking but actually went pretty smoothly.

speechie

#26 Post by speechie »

@Jan2012: I am having an IVRO and LeFort I next Monday, July 30. Looking forward to hearing about your recovery.

swampnurse

#27 Post by swampnurse »

Had my double jaw surgery on july 17 so I am now 6 days postoperative. Days 3&4 were pretty bad but am feeling much better now. Swelling is still bad in my lips so I can't talk intelligibly at all and eating is more trouble than it is worth most of the time, but overall doing ok. I think the anticipation was the worst part.

Jan2012

#28 Post by Jan2012 »

Hi all,

I had IVRO on 7/17 and will be banded shur for 4-6 weeks. I am recovery well. I didn't lose any feelings anywhere, so within hrs I was able to drink apple juice from a small glass at the hospital. I had some shots for pain twice, but never used any narcotics. I wasn't in enough pain to use narcotic painkiller to take a chance with nausea and leading to vomitting. Within 24 hrs, I was only on liquid Motrin as needed. I took that 2 times since I have been home. I kept ice on my jaws for 3 days, which helped with inflammation. From Day 4 on, I use warm compresses. I am on all liquid diet. I am still a bit swollen, but not to bad. My worst swelling was on day 3. It has been going down since then.

I am drinking Ensure, shakes and juices. And plenty of water. I have been up and about cooking for family, so I am not in all that bad shape. Of course, I rest whenever I feel like I need to. I sleep 6-8 hrs at night and may get a short 1.5 hr nap during the day.

I am very glad that IVRO worked out the way that I read it would be. I thought there would be some small numbness, even if short-lived. However, I never lost any feelings. I know this has prevented drooling and allowed my abillity to drink/eat with "ease".

Speechie, good luck with your surgery 7/30!

dorothysnarker

#29 Post by dorothysnarker »

Big news: today my surgeon's office contacted me and informed me of a cancellation, and asked if I wanted to have surgery tomorrow. So I said yes! Surgery is supposed to be in the morning, and I'm waiting for the hospital to call me and confirm the arrival time.

What I'm having done:

-Lefort I for maxillary advancement (3 mm) with palate widening (not sure if it's a 2-piece, because they're not separating the entire palate, just the back)
-BSSO to move my lower jaw back (4 mm)

I'm very, very excited, and can't wait to get this done! :D

speechie

#30 Post by speechie »

My surgery for today was cancelled. I passed out a few min after they put my IV in (happens all the time with blood work etc., which i told them). The nurse thought it was a seizure and the anesthesiologist refused to put me under. They sent me to the ER where they did a battery of tests and now I have to go get cleared by a neurologist before they will let me have surgery. I'm so disappointed because I've been waiting for this for so long :cry: