Surgery for frenum( I think )?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mtbrncofn

Surgery for frenum( I think )?

#1 Post by mtbrncofn »

Darnit, I cannot remember what it is actually called. My reason for braces is to close all the gaps in my teeth. Of course, my biggest one is the one between my top two front teeth. My ortho said that a couple of months before I get my braces off that I will have to have a simple surgery to cut out a piece of gum or tissue. It protrudes down a tiny bit between these teeth, and he said it's thicker than normal.

Did anyone else have to have something like this done? If so, how bad was it?

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

frenectomy.

easy -- especially if a laser is used
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

mtbrncofn

#3 Post by mtbrncofn »

drrick wrote:frenectomy.

easy -- especially if a laser is used
Thanks again for all your responces, drrick. If a laser was used, would it still require stitches? I remember my ortho saying a couple of stitches would be put in after it.

This may be way out there, but do you know what something like this costs?

drrick

#4 Post by drrick »

usually no stitches with laser

fees vary, but a guess would be about 500
Developer of:

Vonster

#5 Post by Vonster »

My son had to have a frenectomy. He got the laser treatment, no stitches. Because of his age, I elected for him to have twilight sleep (intravenous valium) instead of just a local anesthetic. This drove the cost up to $1,000, but it was worth it. He woke up and didn't remember a thing, and had a perfect recovery.

Vonster

Damon 3's, top and bottom
April 5, 2005

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

Wow, that's a bit more than I was thinking. For some reason, I am thinking that I might not be thinking of the right thing. I thought the frenum was that little stringy piece of tissue that connected your top lip to your upper gums? Am I wrong?

This thing that I have to have cut out is more what I would consider the roof of my mouth, right behind my top front two teeth. I would assume a lot of people wouldn't even know what I'm talking about if they didn't have big gaps themselves.

So what's the deal, drrick? Am I confused?

drrick

#7 Post by drrick »

yeah that is the frenum.

sounds like you need a bit of gingevectomy/crown lengthening, perhaps in conjunction with a frenectomy.
Developer of:

mtbrncofn

#8 Post by mtbrncofn »

Ok, just checking to make sure that's what it was. My ortho said it would just be a quick snip and a few stitches. I hope he was right. I'm not all that wild about having parts of my mouth cut out.

MMgoodsmile

frenumectomy

#9 Post by MMgoodsmile »

mtbrncofn wrote:Ok, just checking to make sure that's what it was. My ortho said it would just be a quick snip and a few stitches. I hope he was right. I'm not all that wild about having parts of my mouth cut out.
so how did go. i get mine on next tuesday and am a little anxious. any insight.

Grapefruit

#10 Post by Grapefruit »

I had my frenectomy when I had my braces for a couple of months. Since I had stiches, I guess i didn't have the laser. I also had 2 extractions and the blood and guaze thing was horrible! I ate yogurt and soup for about a week...pretty gross after a while! The total cost was about 420 for everything, but since my dad (i'm 18 ) has very good insurance, I don't think my parents paid that much.

The worst part was the anisthetic, the nurse told me I could choose between novacaine or the one that makes you sleep (lol I forgot what it's called!). Of course, me being scared to fall asleep I chose novacaine and said "it's the stuff they give you when your getting a filling, right?" lol, that was dumb because the needle was HUGE!! I started crying because they put the novacaine in like 9 places! The frenum, the 2 teeth that were being extracted, on the roof of my mouth, and the worst part, when they were putting the needle under my upper lip, I could feel the needle tip in my nose :-(( ...HORRIBLE! It hurt so much!! But I think this experience wouldn't be as bad if I was just getting the frenectomy alone. That part only took like 15 mins. and then I was stiched up. Of course, I swelled up, my upper lip was HUGE and I had one of my molars extracted, so the side of my cheek was swollen too (probably because I sleep on that side). I looked like I was in a fight!

Anyways, MMgoodsmile, if you get the laser it probably won't be anywhere as bad as my experience!! Good Luck!! :D
--i luv sports.......and shoes--

MMgoodsmile

thanks for the update

#11 Post by MMgoodsmile »

I'm just getting the frenumectomy. I hope i dont' swell. i will be going to work the next day. that would be pretty bad. but from all that you said, it seems like the frenum part was not bad it was the extractions that caused the most grief. So when you got the frenum removed, did you gums receed up any. I don't want to get horse teeth after this experience. I just want to close my gap.

MM

Grapefruit

#12 Post by Grapefruit »

Hey MM,

Yea, your gap will close, mine has opened up since I had the surgery. I'm not sure what you mean about your gums receeding and about the horse teeth :? ? If you get the laser, you most likely won't bleed as much as I did...and you probably won't swell!
--i luv sports.......and shoes--

sunflr77

#13 Post by sunflr77 »

I had a frenectomy a couple of months ago. I went to my appt. with the oral surgeon just thinking that it would be a consult and he actually offered to do the procedure then.

I decided to do it since I was already there even though I wasn't prepared mentally for it. He gave me a shot of novacaine that took about 10-15 minutes to make my mouth numb and then went at it. I didn't feel anything and the procedure took less time than it did for my mouth to numb. The only uncomfortable part was the assistant pulling my upper lip up over my nose which made it difficult to breathe. I took a few motrin later in the day as the medicine wore off.

smilezofmetal2

#14 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

Hi sunflr77 & Grapefruit how much did the procedure cost????