Bone regrowth for jaw surgery after wisdom teeth removal?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

seastarr

Bone regrowth for jaw surgery after wisdom teeth removal?

#1 Post by seastarr »

just looking for some advice, or a second opinion :)
I just got my wisdom teeth out, and am scheduled to have a jaw surgery sometime in the future (don't know yet if it will be upper or lower or a combination of the two, my surgeon won't know until my teeth are fully in position). The problem is, even though my teeth are only a few months from being in the right position to do the surgery (I have braces right now), I can't get the jaw surgery until the holes where my wisdom teeth used to be refill with bone.
My dentist says it will probably be at least six months and probably longer, but I would really like to get the surgery done as soon as possible (I realize either way it is going to have be a while, but even just 5 months would be better!), so I am wondering, do you guys know if there is any possible way to speed up the regrowth of the bone?
Or just to help it along in any way?
What I mean by this is would, for example, taking any sort of vitamin or calcium supplements (you know, just the regular vitamin/calcium supplement pills, nothing weird or extra-strength or any of that) help? I realize if it would, it probably won't make a huge difference, but if there is a chance that they will help, I'll take it!
I don't want to screw anything up though and have the surgery put off for longer than it needs to be, so I'm a little bit hesitant...
So yeah, that's basically it. do you guys know if there's anything I can do to speed up the healing process after wisdom teeth removal?
thanks a bunch!

maxhammer

Re: Bone regrowth for jaw surgery after wisdom teeth removal

#2 Post by maxhammer »

Obviously calcium is good for bone, but try biotin--it is good for hair, nail, skin, so it's probably good for bone, too.

trossi

#3 Post by trossi »

The six months line is usually a general rule of thumb. the thing is, you are doing this surgery once and you want to do it right. I've been waiting a long time for surgery and at this point I realize that you really can't rush any part of it. six months will go by in no time.

FracturedJack

#4 Post by FracturedJack »

It takes time for bone to grow. I had an cuspid extracted and a bone graph placed in the resulting hole. It is going to be over a year before they go in and place the anchor for the implant. And I just had Wilkodontics done, which will give me another year in braces to resolve a failed La Forte procedure.

This is an area you don't want to rush. It's understandable to want to get through everything. But take it slowly and heal up completely between procedures so the doctors will have a better likelihood of success.

batwing

#5 Post by batwing »

I had a tumor removed from my lower jaw on March 8. The spot where the tumor was has a marble-sized hole because the tumor ate away at the bone (in the simplest terms!) I had a dental check up on April 16 and x-rays were done on the area where the tumor was removed. Five weeks post surgery I am just now starting to have "granulization" (tiny bits of bone regrowth) on the x-ray. My dentist is saying 6-12 months until total fill-in, although showing signs this early was encouraging. My Le Fort I isn't until Fall 2013, but my braces were supposed to go on in March. They won't even put the braces on until I have more bone regrowth because of the hole the tumor caused.

I would say eat a healthy diet, take good care of your mouth, and let your body do the rest. Any sort of weak spot in your mouth when you undergo surgery is going to put you at risk for injury.
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

johnnysaycheese

#6 Post by johnnysaycheese »

Hi seastarr,

I am day 8 post op and had my wisdom tooth out in dec 2011. Just before my surgery I had a xray to check that the bone had grew back well enough for surgery and thankfully my surgeon said it had so I had surgery 4 months from getting my wisdom tooth out. I didn't take any supplements just the usual milk and cheese and a normal diet.

I am keeping a updated blog at www . johnnysaycheese. blogspot .co .uk . If you want to check it out you will have to type it into address bar manually I think