Sliding Genioplasty Post Op troubles 8 months on

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dabrit

Sliding Genioplasty Post Op troubles 8 months on

#1 Post by dabrit »

Hi,

I had Upper Le Fort I Sugery to correct my major open bite and also had Sliding Genioplasty to help with a recessed chin back in march this year. I still have numbness on the right side of my chin and also pretty bad stiffness as well still can't really pucker my lips the way you would after applying chap stick and closing my mouth still feels a bit unatural.

I was told that if the numbness hadn't gone away by the 6 month mark then it likely would be permanent. Is this really true?? Am I really going to have to put up with a stiff numb chin now for the rest of my life?? I'm worried as this affects my smile and the way my mouth looks when trying to close it.

If anyone can offer any words of encouragement that would be fantastic.

Bullfighter

Re: Sliding Genioplasty Post Op troubles 8 months on

#2 Post by Bullfighter »

dabrit wrote:Hi,

I had Upper Le Fort I Sugery to correct my major open bite and also had Sliding Genioplasty to help with a recessed chin back in march this year. I still have numbness on the right side of my chin and also pretty bad stiffness as well still can't really pucker my lips the way you would after applying chap stick and closing my mouth still feels a bit unatural.

I was told that if the numbness hadn't gone away by the 6 month mark then it likely would be permanent. Is this really true?? Am I really going to have to put up with a stiff numb chin now for the rest of my life?? I'm worried as this affects my smile and the way my mouth looks when trying to close it.

If anyone can offer any words of encouragement that would be fantastic.
I had surgery in Feb -- BSSO and genio. My chin still doesn't feel entirely back to normal (some stiffness), but I have recovered sensation over 100 percent of my skin. I feel hot/cold and pressure fine now, which wasn't the case for a few months after surgery.

I saw my surgeon last month and he said that it can take a year, and that I was likely to get back to pre-surgery normal. Time will tell, but so far it seems like he did a phenomenal job with the jaw surgery and seems to know his stuff.

I suppose every case is different, but I'd certainly give it the full year. Bones heal remarkably fast, but nerves really do seem to take forever. I was dead numb on my chin/lower lip immediately after surgery, and now it's something I'm only aware of when I read/post here.

So, hang in there. You're not done healing yet.

angelstrings

#3 Post by angelstrings »

hi dabrit

Sorry to hear of the trouble you're having with the SG. How many mm's did they advance you? Do the lips not rest comfortably when relaxed?

dabrit

#4 Post by dabrit »

angelstrings wrote:hi dabrit

Sorry to hear of the trouble you're having with the SG. How many mm's did they advance you? Do the lips not rest comfortably when relaxed?
They advanced the chin 7mm, my lips can close together but still look a little awkward doing so, my upper lip looks thinner and more hidden now, and my bottom lip on the right side is still stiff and has spasms sometimes, I can feel hot and cold on my chin but I can tell that I can't fell everything the way I did before and not even close to the left side of the chin.

I've had other stuff tbat's been on going like my tongue not really knowing where to rest when my mouth is closed, I'm always worried that I may be tongue thrusting thus reversing the surgery effects of reversing my open bite. That is my worst fear closely followed by not regaining all mobility in my lip and chin and feeling as well.

But as another user commented it can take up to a year and perhaps the tongue thing will die down too, only 2-3 months of braces left too now...phew

Sara123456789

#5 Post by Sara123456789 »

I'm having the same sensations as you are describing. I had BSSO and (reverse) genioplasty ~7 months ago. My chin is very stiff, tight and heavy. It feels like my chin puts pressure on my lower lip which makes it constantly feel tugged at, which is especially uncomfortable whenever I speak? Do you feel a similar tugging/pulling sensation? Im not sure if its a nerve issue, but I do have a thick white band of scar tissue in my vestibular area with some webbing. Im going to try to be patient for at least 1 year to see if the scar tissue can soften on its own before I seek another sort of intervention.

snapdresser

#6 Post by snapdresser »

The last post was 6 years ago. Rather than bringing it back from the dead and trying to get a response from people who are probably long since active, you should really just make a new thread with whatever question you have.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Sara123456789

#7 Post by Sara123456789 »

how does it concern you where and what I post, especially if I am asking a genuine medical question?

I thought it was 2017, but now that you pointed out it was 2011, I'm even more glad I asked bc I want to know if this issue was resolved over the longterm. I already started a separate thread but posted on this one bc I saw that the original poster also had concerns that mirrored mine. If they don't respond bc they are no longer active, so be it, it's no burden to me and especially not to you? I'm in support groups and forums with members active 10+ years.

Worry about yourself, please & thank you.

snapdresser

#8 Post by snapdresser »

You sound familiar... Have you been banned on this site before?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Sara123456789

#9 Post by Sara123456789 »

No definitely not. Im not sure how any of my comments warrant a ban?

Feel free to comment back, but I will no longer be replying to you.