When can I gargle?!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Quince

When can I gargle?!

#1 Post by Quince »

I'm only on day 8 but I can't wait to close my lips and gargle like a human. I've been prescribed a mouth wash but it's not as effective as it should. Any tips on oral hygene? Is using a tongue scraper a good idea? How many weeks after the surgery could you gargle well, and how did you maintain good hygene?

charlsie142

#2 Post by charlsie142 »

I started brushing the day after surgery per my dr's instructions. I was also able to gargle warm salt water right away (no way I was going to use mouthwash with incisions!! :shock: ). Since you're having trouble closing your mouth, you could try using a syringe with your rx mouthwash or warm salt water and gently let it run across your teeth. That, or just be over a sink so you can be messy. :) As for the tongue, my ROM was so slight after surgery, I couldn't brush my tongue or use a tongue scraper until about week 3, and the taste that I always had was really horrible.

I know not everyone can brush right away after surgery, so I don't know if this helps or not. If no one else has any suggestions, it might be worthwhile to call your surgeon and ask what he/she suggests. Good luck! :)
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

Hyrule

#3 Post by Hyrule »

I used listerine cut in half with water the day after the surgery. Brushed my teeth the same day as surgery warmed by hot water to soften the brush.

descantus

#4 Post by descantus »

I could gargle justabout straight away. If you can do it at all it's a good idea as it keeps mouth bacteria down and lessens infection risk. Tongue scraper also a good idea if you can fit it in.

I also used small interdental brushes - those tiny little ones in different sizes which i'd dip in mouthwash for extra effect then run between each tooth. If you do this obviously go really carefully so you don't disturb any elastics or go near incision sites.
Follow my story:
http://dentalpurgatory.blogspot.com/

[/url]

revolutionary

#5 Post by revolutionary »

I started to gargle saltwater right away. I also rinsed with a gentle mouthwash - Biotene - after every "meal", and started using a soft toothbrush after a week or so. I would jump on the boat right away to prevent bacteria from getting in there (and bad breath, as much as possible :wink: )
- Alison

SuperJet

#6 Post by SuperJet »

Get yourself a baby toothbrush and get to brushing!!
Braces since May of 07
Lower Jaw advancement Surgery Oct 1!!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#7 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I was using the antibiotic mouth wash the day after my surgery, mind you it was quite messy and all I wanted to do was sleep lol, started brushing teeth 5 days after with a tiny toothbrush that we bought!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Yontan

Re: When can I gargle?!

#8 Post by Yontan »

I am able to gargle but I can't seem to swish the liquid around my mouth. I'm 2 weeks post op. Any idea why?