working out / bodybuiding / sports?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hadoudi

working out / bodybuiding / sports?

#1 Post by Hadoudi »

How soon can I start working out and playing sports again? I used to work out 5 days a week prior to the surgery and play basketball on a team once a week. I've had to put all that on hold for now. I'm 10 days post op. How soon can I start doing some physical exercise?

bb

#2 Post by bb »

I'd definitely avoid any sports where you can accidentally get hit in the mouth with a ball, elbow, etc!

I'm not sure about running or weightlifting...

descantus

#3 Post by descantus »

Hi Hadoudi,

Your surgeon is the best person to ask as he'll know exactly how much rest your particular surgery requires.

Like you i'm a gym and sports regular, and my surgeon told me 4-6 weeks min out of the gym. However gentle walks can begin as soon as you're up to it as it will assist with circulation and recovery - i'm planning to begin easy yoga/stretching sessions once I feel ready, in oreder to maintain a bit of tone. Basically anything that doesn't place any stress on your face and isn't too strenuous is ok.

Just take things slow, your body's been through a lot!
Follow my story:
http://dentalpurgatory.blogspot.com/

[/url]

Noam

#4 Post by Noam »

This question has been asked for many times here before. It seems that nobody knows the answer. Some say you can return for full activity after 2 weeks (as long as there's no risk for jaw impact), others say you have to wait for a full year before doing anything other than walking.

theKurp

#5 Post by theKurp »

Fortunately, my surgeon is very pro exercise.

Although I was unable to post the same numbers (weight/rep) that I was prior to surgery, I was back working out (3-day splits weight-lifting, 2 days cardio per week) exactly 2 weeks after surgery.

In fact, my surgeon was pushing me to get back just 10 days post-op. I will caveat all this by saying that due to some unfortunate circumstances, my jaw had to be wired shut for 5 weeks. Given the relative immobility that ensured, I'm guessing my surgeon was fairly confident I couldn't do much damage by exercising as soon as 2 weeks after surgery.

Hadoudi

#6 Post by Hadoudi »

ok so I just had my 2 weeks post op visit with the OS.

He's asked me to wait another 2 weeks to start working out, so I'm guessing 1 month in is appropriate.

He's asked me to hold off basketball as he's afraid any minor "bump" might damage the frail jaw position. I'll be checking in with him at the next visit, however he usually recommends 3-4 weeks. I'll see if a mouth guard might help.