1.5 years post-op and devastated after last visit to surgeon

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lealicious

#16 Postby lealicious » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:52 pm

It's a decision I have to make as well. My teeth are horrible... well, to me they are horrible. My family and boyfriend think it gives me character. But I am tired of making these funny faces when taking a photo, and can't imagine how horrible my wedding photos will come out when I get married.

I have quite a large overbite, bucked teeth, and severe crowding on the bottom. I've been wanting braces all my life but never had the money to do so. Now I'm 25 and I want to do something about it before I'm at least 30, so I can enjoy having a nice smile for a very long time.

My orthodontist said I won't have good results if I don't get the surgery. My bite won't improve and my profile won't change. He pretty much said I had to make the decision about surgery before treatment starts because the treatment plans would be completely different with or without surgery.

I chose the surgery route, so ended up having to get 4 extractions - 2 lower premolars and 2 upper wisdoms. I still don't know if I have made the right decision, and if I will end up getting the surgery. But if I opt out, I will end up with an even worse bite.

So in a way I have cornered myself and don't really have a choice in the end. If I want really good results in the end, that is.

My biggest fear is nerve damage. Permanent nerve damage. Nerve damage in a sense that I would lose the ability to move my mouth properly. I don't know if that is possible because I think the nerve that can be damaged is a sensory nerve, not a motor nerve.

Anyway, long story short, I am still unsure about the surgery, even if it will improve my smile and stop this damn clicking and popping.

daffodil

#17 Postby daffodil » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:24 pm

lealicious, my doctor told me that if I got permanent nerve damage it would probably just be a funny feeling or odd numbness, that it wouldn't be a loss of function with me drooling all over myself or anything.

lealicious

#18 Postby lealicious » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Yeah, I was told the same thing. But I can't help but worry. When you think about it, they are cutting and pulling at your jaws. I just don't think I'll ever be completely comfortable with the idea of surgery on my face, I just have to hope for the best.

A friend of mine had lower jaw surgery, she had some numbness but it seems to be coming back slowly. I have to get both upper and lower. I hear all the risks for lower jaw surgery, but I'm more worried about the upper jaw part. I'm not sure which is more risky?
10/03/10 - Upper braces
11/05/10 - First adjustment

marycotter5678

#19 Postby marycotter5678 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:24 pm

I am sorry that you had this happen to you. I remember when I went to my first consultation with the oral surgeon, ne of the first things he mentoned is that there may be permanent nerve damage especially in the chin or lower lip. He said that it doesn't happen very often it is a possibility and that he lookes at it as "you get a perfect bite but may lose some feeling in the chin/lip as a result" - it is a tradeoff. To me that tradeoff isn't a bad dal at all... Think about it --- isnt it better that you now have the bite/face structure you wanted even though you had to give up little feeling in your chin?

Double-Jaw Surgery: Lefort I & BSSO (May 4, 2010)

CandyApple

Re: 1.5 years post-op and devastated after last visit to surgeon

#20 Postby CandyApple » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Wondering if Smurfy comes on here and How she is doing now ? This is an old post but my issue sounds a lot like hers with lower lip?

Metalmouth33

#21 Postby Metalmouth33 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:35 am

CandyApple wrote:Wondering if Smurfy comes on here and How she is doing now ? This is an old post but my issue sounds a lot like hers with lower lip?

On top of anything else someone might suggest, I'd recommend taking a fish oil capsule daily, and now and then have a 15-30min warm bath and just let your head sit almost completely under the water for a lot it. Submersed enough so that just your lips and nostrils are out of the water, still allowing you to breathe. You might also try applying some Vitamin E oil on and around the affected areas, you can even apply very minor amounts in your mouth if you need to. Placing them on your gums/inner lips/palate.

I find a warm bath helps to relax my face entirely. I have some weird annoying tingling feeling in a couple areas on my cheeks, the bath helps those go away. Not immediately, but maybe an hour or so after I have cooled down from the bath.

You might also want to research what other kind of foods could potentially help you. The whole idea is to generate better than ideal conditions for any nerve regeneration process that is still to take place.

I don't know long ago your surgery was, but if it was recent I wouldn't think a hot bath is a good idea until the wound has healed. You don't want to cause unnecessary blood flow to an area that is still mending itself.

Marriedonmaui

#22 Postby Marriedonmaui » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:39 pm

My numbness is very intense like fire ants on my chin. My surgeon has never had this happen before and I have been put on gabapentin possibly for the rest of my life to deal with the painful "numbness" it makes me so tired and really only takes the edge off. This sucks

samas

#23 Postby samas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi Married,

How long are you post op?

Caitrm

#24 Postby Caitrm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:49 pm

I've had a ton of success using vitamin b complex!

Return to “Oral (Orthognathic) Surgery”