Special day for me today-1 year post-op

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OzzysMom

Special day for me today-1 year post-op

#1 Post by OzzysMom »

Today is the first anniversary(my "other" birthday) of my surgery. It's been very emotional for me in many ways.
I don't wanna bore everyone w/the details you probably already know but wanted to share something I recently came to realize.
I used to think that the universe(God, nature, the devine, whatever) made a mistake when my jaw was made. But after the journey I've experienced in having it corrected and people I've met as a result, I've realized that everything was done with perfection and with a reason. I feel so blessed to have had the experiences and encounters and the challenges only helped me grow and brought me to where I am today.

Thanks for listening and helping me on my journey!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

PJ

#2 Post by PJ »

You have such a wonderful outlook! :D Congratulations on your anniversary. So, at one year, do you feel it was all worth it?

OzzysMom

#3 Post by OzzysMom »

Thanks, PJ. Yes, it was definitely worth it and I would do it all again if I had to.
I just wish the tingles in my lower jaw area would go away. For some reason...they are back.
Hope your healing is going well!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

OhioM

#4 Post by OhioM »

You are such an inspiration! Congratulations!!!!!! I've only been on the boards for about a month, but I've already dug through all your old posts - b/c of our similarities and the fact that you are such an encouragement to everyone on here. I have learned a ton from what you've shared, and I really don't think I'd have the courage to go on with this otherwise.

Congrats on your milestone. You have worked so hard to get to where you are today! Enjoy every minute - this is not a small thing, even though people who haven't gone through it may not appreciate the "drama" of it all...I am one who is just beginning this process but is in awe of everything you've done to improve your health and well -being. I am so happy to see how this has worked out for you and I don't even know you!
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

Jane

#5 Post by Jane »

Hi there and congratulations to you :D It's lovely to hear you are so happy and that you've learned and grown from your experience. I wish you every happiness - you deserve it! God bless xx

Skitters

#6 Post by Skitters »

Congratulations!!! You truly are an inspiration for all of us. You've helped me through alot of the tough times I've encountered in the last year, that's for sure. Best of luck to you in everything in the future! And just remember, you're not alone with the tingly, tight chin :lol: I'm right there with ya!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#7 Post by blindboarder2008 »

congratz OM on your 1 year post op surgery anniversary!!!!!! hope things continue to go well for you!!!!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

jul

1 yr

#8 Post by jul »

Congrats on your other birthday. Reading your posts has made my journey better. I am only 4 weeks post op and cannot wait for the next 11 months to go by. Wishing you the best in the future.
Jul

chicago29

#9 Post by chicago29 »

Congratulations OzzysMom...You have reason to celebrate and I hope you had a great "birthday"!

I hope you stay involved on this message board, as you are of great help and inspiration to all of us that are in our journey or about to start it.

Best Regards
Chicago29

Graceful58

#10 Post by Graceful58 »

I haven't kept up like I should so I was glad to read your post!!! That's awesome, I'm so happy for you!!! I have two more months to go and I'll be celebrating along with you. You do have a wonderful outlook on your experience and I was glad to hear of your travels along the journey.

You mentioned tingling still...have you any numbness??? I am still dealing with numbness on my lower lip and chin area. There's sensation to the touch on most places of my lower lips and chin so I'm hopeful that this will all come back. :)
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful

OzzysMom

#11 Post by OzzysMom »

Graceful, yes I do have some numbness but it's a weird kind of numbness. I am able to feel when I touch the lower jaw area, it's just not the same as the rest of my face. And even being numb it can sometimes hurt when touched so I call it a 'hypersensitive numbness.' Prior to surgery, I thought the numbness would feel similar to after a dentist visit, but it's different.
One thing that's also happened over the last month is that I have some days where the tingles would come back after having been gone for awhile. As annoying as it is, it's been a good thing because I've noticed a dramatic change in the amount of feeling I have there. The feeling that my lower lip is stretching comes and goes, and it also sometimes feels like it is wet in my lower lip area, especially when I do a lot of talking.
I'm really looking forward to the day when it doesn't feel like I've had surgery.