jaw surgery over 50?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emissary

jaw surgery over 50?

#1 Post by emissary »

My orthodontist recommends surgery to bring my small lower jaw forward. I'm 55 and wondering if my age would mean slower healing time or other potential complications. Has anyone else over 50 gone through this? Thanks.

PJ

#2 Post by PJ »

I'm only 45, but just had upper and lower jaw surgery, and my surgeon did tell me that age can factor in the recovery process possibly being slower. I would think that how healthy you are going in to surgery would matter as much as, or even more than, age, generally. Probably the best thing to do is consult with a surgeon and ask if they think the risks are worth it, and also do your own research.

As far as my experience--if my face still weren't still swollen and uncomfortable, then I wouldn't even know I had surgery, most days--I went running twice, less than 3 weeks after surgery, and I do dog walking for a living, and went back to about 8 walks a day after just 13 days off. A lot of younger people might not have been able to do that--again, I attribute it to being as healthy as possible prior to the surgery.

I hope someone closer to your age can also respond to your post with their own experience. Good luck!

fromjersey

#3 Post by fromjersey »

I think Ozzie's Mom on here was over 50 and had a lot done in Costa Rica. Maybe she can chime in.

I had sliding genioplasty at age 79 and healing was easy for me. Next month I will be 81. Worst part was a very sore throat, from tube that goes down throat. I think much depends on the state of your health. If I had known all the facts when I was 50 I would have gone for the works, top, bottom, genio and orthodontics. Ideally I would have liked to have had treatment when I was 20, but it wasn't written in the stars.

Also, sometimes there are alternatives like periodontal treatment. I had gum contouring, dental crowns and an implant which vastly improved top jaw.
Helen

OzzysMom

#4 Post by OzzysMom »

LOL Helen.......I'm not quite there yet, but I am 48!
Yes, I did have double jaw surgery as well as a genioplasty, turbinectomies, partial septoplasty and gum contouring. It was 7 months ago and although I am not 100% healed yet(still a bit of numbness in chin area, a little bit of residual swelling which nobody notices but me, and ROM still improving), I am very happy with my results both functionally and visually. As long as you are generally in good health, the risks are no more than any other types of surgery. In fact, my bruising was much less than many people younger than myself. Healing can be slower when your older, but not necessarilly. I wouldn't let age be a deterrent. Many people in their 50's get this done. I think that the main difference is that if you are older, you will notice and appreciate the functional changes more because of all the years you suffered prior. I had headaches for years which didn't begin until my 40's and since my surgery they are gone. I would not have known this type of relief in my 20's.
Good luck on your journey!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

tazzle

#5 Post by tazzle »

well I dont know yet ... but give me a few weeks and Iwill get back to you as my op is on june 4th :wink: . I am 52.

as others have said though I think maturity can bring the advantage of stoicism....... we accept that some things are uncomfortable but we have made a calculated decision to go though it and just "get on with it" more perhaps.

There might be a slightly slower healing process to do with cell growth being less vigourous but I think general health and attitude are far more important than age tho ...

.... and we are not the oldest. My surgeon / orthos have great delight in telling me of the 82 year old that has a bsso with them a few years ago who still is soooo pleased she rings them up to let them know how glad she is they did it for her :D :D :D

[/url]

ImageImage

2bpositive

#6 Post by 2bpositive »

I just turned 49 yrs and will be having double jaw surgery plus genio and also worried about the recovery \ healing time since I'm older. My surgeon told me she has done this before on people my age & older.
It's good to hear how PJ was out walking & even running that quick ( what great job I love dogs I have 3 of them). I thought OzzysMom's swelling was not bad at all it seemed like her swelling went down in no time and the results were amazing.
I went into this because of having such an open bite was just causing to many problems for me and getting worst. My Othodontic added that I should have a sliding genio and told me what it was this made me happy since I do not have chin so this is an added bonus.
Looking forward to hearing Tazzle52 recovery & healing process.

PJ

#7 Post by PJ »

2bpositive--I love your moniker. :) Dog walking is a great job--especially after having had this surgery: Unlike Ozzy's Mom, my swelling (after almost 4 weeks) is not as reduced as I would like, so having a job where I rarely have any interaction with humans is really great. I think going back to work as soon as I did, would have been much harder if I had a job where I had to see, and talk to people all day.

tazzle

#8 Post by tazzle »

what a lovelyu job :wink:

I know I wont be back as quick as I work with people with learning difficulties and challenging behaviour ..... just cant risk even accidental contact with the jaw ...

.. plus have to have a second op to remove the splint 4 weeks after first.

I will still go see my horse tho .... and maybe even ride quietly :wink:

[/url]

ImageImage

PJ

#9 Post by PJ »

Wow! Just don't fall off that horse, Tazzle!

tazzle

#10 Post by tazzle »

i dont make a habit of falling off ( althoughj I have done a few times in the past :lol: usually when either doing summat silly . usually just a slide off :roll: .... she is very quiet or i wouldnt even think about it :wink:

[/url]

ImageImage

Graceful58

#11 Post by Graceful58 »

Just thought I'd chime in as well. I'm 48 and have my lower jaw advancement surgery and a chin reduction on Dec 31. My recovery was pretty quick and relatively easy. I was out walking the day after surgery (in the back yard) and up to walking a mile in the second week. I still have numbness in my chin area and just had my screws removed today...they were sticking through under my tongue or I wouldn't have had to have them out.

I concur with others have said...if you're pretty healthy they you should have an pretty easy time but everyone is different. Best of luck to you!!
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful

fromjersey

#12 Post by fromjersey »

Hey tazzle: On the 82 year old who had jaw surgery, do you know if she had anything done to upper jaw or if she had orthodontics? Also where was this? In U.S.A? I'm in southern Calif.
Helen

tazzle

#13 Post by tazzle »

she had lower only.... bssso ... she only had dentures so no orthodontics :wink:

she had surgery because they could not get dentures alligned for her to eat and she was a very fit 80 year ol !

she is in uk

[/url]

ImageImage

fromjersey

#14 Post by fromjersey »

tazzle: Thanks. So glad people are not letting age stand in the way. I have my own teeth, but with crowns, plus one molar implant.
Helen

pamela4praise

Jaw surgery over 50?

#15 Post by pamela4praise »

I had lower jaw advancement on May 14th and am age 50. There are certain risk that become greater when we are older and/or female.

I have done a ton of research on this topic since my wonderful surgeon, on his first cut, sliced through the IAN. I have not found anyone on this site whose surgeon has admitted to cutting the nerve and then trying to repair it. My surgeon has been doing this for 30 years and is the head of the oral surgery dept. of one of the best and biggest hospitals in the country.

From what I have found age, being female, and the amount of advancement have a lot to do with our risk of having nerve damage. The amount of advancment is important since those of us with small lower jaws, have a nerve that has not been stretched before. So, even under normal circumstances, just stretching the nerve can cause damage. He moved me forward a full 15 mm. I have also not heard of anyone on this site with that far of an advancement.

My left side, where the nerve was not damaged, has returned to full mobility and I can tell the feeling is coming back to my lips and chin. But, the right side, where he cut the nerve, is very painful, constant stinging, and I don't have mobility or feeling in either chin or lips. My surgeon tells me I need to wait 12 to 18 months and I realize I have to live with that.

It has only been 2 1/2 weeks since my surgery so I am trying to stay hopeful and I am doing a lot of praying.

It is way to early for me to say if I would have done this knowing this would happen. Talk to me in about a year. But, for now, I wish I had at least known the risk were higher and I had better prepared for what has now happened.

As far as healing time, my surgeon has told me I have healed better than most teenagers he has worked on. I worked out and took lots of vitamins to prepare myself before the surgery. The first week was a blur of trying to keep the meds down and sleeping. The second was a little better and I was taking walks and getting some energy back. I am taking a third week off since my surgeon thinks the longer I wait to go back to work, the better the healing.

This may not have been what you wanted to hear, but I wish I had known the risk before I began the process. Everyone who has seen me thinks I look incredible and they tell me I should be so glad I did this. They can't get over what a huge difference it makes in my looks. And, my husband tells me honestly that I do look better now that things are where they should be. But, I did not do this for looks. I did it becuase they told me I had a better shot at a healthy life if my teeth and jaws were lined up and healthy.

Everyone has to do what is best for them and make their own decisions. I might would have still done it, even knowing this would happen, but I just wish I had known and was better prepared to deal with it.

Hope all goes well for you!