Jaw surgery and retainers

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

changes09

Jaw surgery and retainers

#1 Post by changes09 »

I heard from somwhere (cant remember wear) that if you get jaw surgery you dont have to worry about teeth shifting. Does that mean those who get surgery wont need retainers?

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

I don't think your source is reliable and I would not listen to that piece of advice. As far as my orthodontist is concerned, I will have to wear retainers just like every other orthodontic patient.

ohmyjaw

#3 Post by ohmyjaw »

I had jaw surgery, and because my bite is very stable now, my ortho said I will not need lifetime retainers, but I will still be wearing them for two years post-braces.

Although I do trust my ortho, I am very nervous about my teeth shifting! I guess it's because I have been through so much to get my teeth to where they are. So, I think I am going to try to keep my reatiners for as long as I can.

Emaciated

#4 Post by Emaciated »

I had double jaw surgery and have an upper and lower retainer that I am supposed to wear 8 hours a day (while sleeping) for the rest of my life. That's in addition to the permanent upper retainer and permanent lower retainer bonded to the backs of my front teeth. Even with being banded shut, a splint for 3-weeks, and 4 retainers, my teeth have still slightly shifted after surgery.

smile2006

#5 Post by smile2006 »

I had upper and lower jaw surgery to correct and open bite. My ortho als said that jaw surgery should produce a stable bite if done well (and the ortho sets the teeth well). Jaw surgery with braces should be able to acheive a "perfect" bite. He is of the opinion that the bite should maintain itself. I have a bonded retainer on two upper teeth to the left of the front teeth and other than that no retainers. I've had my braces off for a year and a half and so far so good. I do admit that I can get a little nervous thinking my teeth will go back but so far everything has been fine. I do trust my ortho on this, he has many years of experience with jaw surgery cases (even though I don't see anyone following in my direction).

changes09

#6 Post by changes09 »

so what i have gathered is that the teeth are more stable when you have jaw surgery, but you still need retainers. thanks guys!